BC Boards

Unofficial Ettrick Kennel Results

Guest PrairieFire

Guest PrairieFire

Hi Folks - I copied this over from the Livestock Guard dog thread into this...

Hey Bill -

I could've used that 50 points on Saturday...more on that later...

Since I didn't bring home the full results I will not officially post this...

The weather was wonderful for the Ettrick Kennels Open held in beautiful Butler, Mo at the home farm of Jack, Kathy and Kate Knox - friday turned into shirtsleeve weather, Saturday got so cold, and the handlers were so bundled up, you couldn't tell who was at the post unless you looked at the dog, and sunday was a repeat of saturday - BUT NO RAIN UNTIL MONDAY, after the trial...

The loss of Daylight Savings Time forced Jack out of bed earlier than he would have liked, and running fifty + dogs a day in Open, on the EKO course, was a challenge with short daylight...

The North Country Cheviot ewes were their usual selves, requiring a dog to be just right and put on the right amount of pressure - otherwise it was split city and the first Open run had two going through the fetch panel, with one on each side of it...we thought maybe we should establish that as the standard...

There were many case of too much, or too little pressure, where a wily ewe would break from the rest and head for the hills - leaving the others to fend for themselves, and a dog and handler trying to figure out how to gather the breakaway and not lose the flock...

Saturday's high was Nancy Duley and Klae, Sunday's was Gary Westerbrook and Dee...

Some memorable runs were laid down, and the combined high total required a runoff between Bill Berhow and Dan and Scott Glen and Fly - with daylight running out, the tie was decided by outwork - and Fly took the combined for Scott by one point over Dan...Scot and Dan being Canadian and all, I figure they're used to working in the dark...

Bill lost the coin toss and ran second with hardly any daylight - especially since Dan had decided he needed to empty his bowels before his run - comments were heard, "C'mon you're burning daylight", and "Do that on your own time", but Dan paid no attention to the ruffians in the crowd...and did some excellent outwork...

All in all a very good trial, once again, and a pleasure to attend....

Oh, and about Saturday, I could have used the 50 points after driving Craig and sheep, much against his will, back through the fetch gates instead of the right hand drive panels...Kevin Taylor suggested we paint a sheep butt with the international sign of do not enter on the panels...don't you just love him?

------------------

Bill Gary

Kensmuir, Working Stockdog Center

River Falls, WI

------------------

Bill Gary

Kensmuir, Working Stockdog Center

River Falls, WI

[This message has been edited by PrairieFire (edited 11-07-2000).]