BC Boards

ABC Magazine SDT

BTW, Christine didn't mention up there that she was the big weiner on friday in the Open, precluding our planned very exciting 3 way run off for first right at the last minute.

You could have gotten an 85 like the rest of us so you and i could have continued our streak of run offs, ya know....we'd have let you join and make it a 4 way tie. :rolleyes:

Marg,

I bought Peg from Tommy and have had her for 1.5 months so far; she's 1.5 years old and quite fast. This was our first trial and her first trial.

She did a very nice outrun and then lifted the sheep hard. On the fetch she got a bit of butt fever and would not flank off to push them back on line (they drift to the left towards the pressure). At the post I got things settled (Peg and the sheep). We started the right hand drive nicely and when she got to her distance (we've only been doing short drives as I get with her and get her to pace) I needed a short flank to fix the line. When I asked for the flank she flipped around the sheep to bring them back to me. I was able to stop her and bring her back around before the sheep got to my feet and we pushed the sheep out to the panel (to the left of the panel). She brought them fast to the pen and we had them in the mouth of the pen twice; one time they were all the way in. Since we have never penned, she didn't know to stay put and flipped around the pen pushing the sheep back out. Oh well, no pen this time and no ribbon.

There were glimpses of very nice things to come; I'm getting ready to do battle with Sam & Libby (hopefully all the way out to Sturgis).

Mark

Wow that run sounds very familiar! I'm still too full of stagefright to clearly remember the details like you, but: Nell did a good outrun to the left and did not get sucked in by a marshy dip on the way that brought some of the other youngsters in a bit tight. She lifted them well but then rushed at them a bit and was slow to take a lie down early on the fetch. I was able to keep her on the pressure for most of the fetch but I still got her too far up on the flank and they started to split as they neared the post. I got them round the post in a very ugly fashion (still happy to have kept them from bolting to the exhaust though). Andrea will not be surprised to hear that I did a repeat of my Canadian performance by making the panel in a decent fashion then popping them back through like an idiot. I didn't get my pen either. Honestly I have an unhappy memory of the sheep strung out against the fence behind the post but I can't remember if that was after the fetch or the drive. Lucky for me, we weren't the only team to annoy Bill's and Chris's nice sheep past the point where they would willingly pen, so we barely squeaked in for a prize.

I am NOT sucking up to Sam Furman. I am just a naturally nice person. Besides, I would only suck up if I had an ulterior motive, which I don't at the present time. Give me a chance, and I will think of one.

As for Christine not blowing her own horn, she just does everything well and does it quietly. Anyway, it's other folks who have been bragging on Red, not me.

I don't get to go to hardly any trials, anyway. I just stay here at home on the farm and work my dogs on those big mean Angus cattle in the rain and the mud and the dark. And, did I mention it was rainy and muddy and dark out there last night when I had to feed those cattle (which, by the way, are my husband's, but he's been down on a kayak trip on the Albemarle Sound since last Wednesday with a beautiful blonde young enough to be his daughter - okay, so she is our daughter).

He says it's been sunny and warm down there, except when it was rainy and warm once. It's only been sunny once since he left, and it hasn't been warm at all. Oops, I didn't mean that like it came out. And, I just turned on the furnace today because I got tired of depending on the hot flashes.

Life is good.

Robin, I whispered in Rook's ear that he needed at least an 85 to be in another run off with Spottie. Although he is partial to Gael's "Bite Ben" kisses, he still holds a special place in his heart for Spottie. Besides she ousted him out of the win at VA State Fair trial and he wanted to gain control again... just like a man. :rolleyes: Since he did not want to chance getting that ding-batty, crazy, one horned cinny ewe in a run off, and blow a chance at a win, he decided to lie down when I asked during most of that run.

That ewe needs the title of "Supreme Anti-SaPS"! I got her with Rook on Saturday and then again with Bess on Sunday, so I am with Sam - let's make mince meat out of her! Didn't Renee have her in one of her Ranch runs as well?

Oh and BTW - I am keeping a leash on Tweed at trials from now on... we need to tell David and Kate to do the same. :D I'm just glad I wasn't the only one who wasn't paying attention.

Hmm, okay, but just be sure to explain to him that it's Spottie's turn next weekend! Or else she'll sic Gael on him again.

(I taught Gael to "bite Ben" when she was in her first heat because she wasn't trying to defend herself from my amorous male dog's advances. Now she'll gladly bestow "bite Ben" kisses on the nearest male on command - yes, the command is "bite Ben" - whether she's in heat or not. She'll even kind of look around for someone close, they don't have to even be pestering her.)

I'm thinking of giving out leashes for Christmas this year. :rolleyes: Randy almost joined the club as well on friday. I caught his new Vic pup as she was trying to figure out how to get through the fence after she broke her chain! Wild puppies.

Laura - So sorry I missed you. I arrived fairly late on Saturday thanks to office obligations. Owning your own company is not always the wonderful thing some might think it to be.

Trip and I had a ball this weekend. We ran out of time on our first run...and we did finish the course and get our pen in the afternoon. I probably enjoyed the second run better than any run I have done with him anywhere. Being only my 3rd trial I thought I did okay for a newbie. Bless his heart on how Trip just sometimes pulls me thru. The best part was I noticed this weekend that I am not completely paralyzed at the post and am beginning to be able to breathe and actually blow some form of sounds out of my whistle. I figure if now I can breathe I can start focusing more on fine tuning my run. It is a really good thing it does not hurt my feelings to come home without a ribbon! Wonder how I would look as a red head????

Again, sorry I missed seeing you and I hope that Wick is recovering nicely.

Ok so I have been really busy all afternoon...I checked all of the herding videos and old abc magazines that I have and damn Mark, I can find NO refernce to "butt fever" Is this some new ultrasheik herding term..am I really that out of the loop...wow..I really need to get on the ball...

As to our proposed showdown in Sturgis...I have now had the stuffing whipped out of me two years in a row on that pretty field so I will throw down no guantlet..I will say that I might just have to stop poo pooing libby. She helped load a trailer today and was doing all sorts of pen work and showed me more than she ever has..maybe she will make a dog for me...

Randy and I had a blast working pups today...FREDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD Got my next Tucker for sure! I think Randy is over the moon about his little "grit" whose name I am voting we change to Britt..she is after all a little GIRL. She looked like a chip off the old block.

Well, the wee bugger got a couple of good whacks on the head from Scott the Man this weekend, for yipping hysterically at sheep whilst tied to the fence, so I guess you can say his training is proceeding apace.

Hey, Toby was a star, BTW. Scott kept shaking his head in amazement. Really. I was tres proud.

A.

Originally posted by tucknjill:

Randy and I had a blast working pups today...FREDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD Got my next Tucker for sure!

Yaaaaaaaaaaay for Fred! :rolleyes:

Considering the year I've had with his mom, I won't tell anyone who she is. :D A., tell Scott that I need him down here to do some whacking on some of his former breeding. :mad: (Hat is optional.)

I will say that I might just have to stop poo pooing libby. She helped load a trailer today and was doing all sorts of pen work and showed me more than she ever has..maybe she will make a dog for me...

Boy this sounds very familiar to me ala Buff. The only difference is you haven't been trying to pawn Libby off on everyone, unlike Buff.

...I checked all of the herding videos and old abc magazines that I have and damn Mark, I can find NO refernce to "butt fever" Is this some new ultrasheik herding term.

No not new nor did I coin the term. Did you not know sheep have an aura in and around their butts that prevent dogs from listening or thinking once they are inside this aura. I'm sure you know this, but with your public education you never were taught the technical term for the phenomenon in dogs. Now you know.

Mark