BC Boards

This might be a silly question- and a Nick pic

This might be a silly question, but my other BC never had any interest in playing (unless you count staring at the pigs for hours "playing.) Nick most certainly will play games, and he definitley needs to be occupied more than my previous BC did.

Will doing other stuff with him ruin or get in the way of his herding ability? Maybe agility, but even just things like hunting for his favourite toy or other simple games. Nick stays with my (very dog savvy) sister when I travel, and she needs to be able to occupy his mind (she has no idea about working sheep). Nick MUST retain his herding ability- it's his job, it's why I got him. We do work sheep nearly every day, so he gets plenty of practice.

I can't imagine he'd "unlearn" herding- he lives for his sheep! The hardest thing for him to do is to leave the field when we're done. I'd thought about doing some agility things with him because 1) my friend does it with her two dogs & loves it, and 2) my other mutt-dog I think would enjoy agility.

So, the important thing: Here's Nick in all his goofy-looking glory

4go68ar.jpg

ETA: Haha, I didn't notice you can see my crook hanging in the background! If I even bump the thing, Nick starts bouncing...

Hi there,

I think if Nick is already working sheep so much, it won't hurt to do some agility. I wouldn't do much of anything with my dog before I got on with the sheep work, but after that, I think it depends on the dog and his/her drive and personality. Many border collies can do all sorts of things along with working sheep well. Of course I had an agility dog first and then started him, not a lot of instinct and he looked at me too much because I had trained that in agility. The second two dogs I didn't do anything first before working sheep. Just my opinion!

I want to come over to the islands and see your place. Do you ever have sheep for sale?

Caroline in Bellingham

Caroline, this dog has so much herding drive it amazes me. I swear if I let him, he'd run the sheep back and forth all day, just for fun. He really thinks about the flock, and seems to read my mind as to what I want done. He's 2 1/2, and has been a sheep dog his whole life- I've only had him for 3 weeks, believe it or not!

You're welcome to come out sometime- just not now It's a mud pit here. My big turbo diesel truck just about sank when I backed a little too far down into the pasture. Sometime after late March- I start lambing Feb 18 and finish by April 1.

I do indeed have sheep for sale. I sell a few market lambs on the hoof per year (most of them I sell already frozen), and I sell Cotswold breeding stock. *sigh* The Cots are not the best dog sheep... they're BIG and heavy and a bit pretentious. They have to be dog broke early on, otherwise, they stand there daring the dog to try. I'm so glad I dog trained my ram early- he's gotta be up to 250 Lbs now. I'll sell extra cross-bred ewe lambs, too. I'll have a lot of nice Romney x Coopworth ewe lambs in '07. They're dood dog sheep- they get worked from day 1.

Yes it is a mud pit lots of places up here this time of year isn't it? Oh those sheep are too large for me to be comfortable handling. I have been training on St. Croix and St. Croix crosses and am considering Katahdins for home. I always wanted Black Welsh Mountain Sheep after seeing them in Scotland but they are a bit pricey and some folks say a bit hard to work. Yes after March perhaps we can drive out to visit you!

Caroline

Y'know, the fact that you're talking about sis doing something with Nick...I'm guessing he's at a different location then? Or does your sister stay at your place?

These dogs are savy enough to figure out different jobs at different locations especially with different handlers.If she is the only one to do agility with him and you're the one he herds with...if Nick is a 'one man dog' there could possibly be an issue...

Back when DH was a youngster his uncle started a little BC bitch for him.The dog had been working sheep/goats wonderfully,although still lacking experience,well..uncle invited DH up to the ranch to see how she was coming along.Uncle had DH send her out...from then on she thumbed her nose at anyone but DH !

Every dog is different but I would think different activities/different locations and different handlers would not lessen drive or desire for either! JMO.

My sister & BIL live 1/4 mile up the road. We all (dogs included) spend a lot of time together. Nick is definitley more bonded to me, but he's so outgoing, he loves everyone. My sister & BIL spend a bit of time working with my dogs so the dogs do listen to them. My sister actually has an elderly BC rescue, so she gets the BC mentality.

Caroline, I used to raise Katahdins & Kat crosses. GREAT dog sheep! A bit kooky, but very light for the dog, and very easy to handle for you. I still have my Kat ram- I breed him to the first-time lambers for small, vigourous lambs- makes for a good first lambing experience. So I will have some of them, too.