BC Boards

Diethylstilbestrol

INU

I have a vet appointment on wednesday. I am trying the new vet I found. I might try and get some urine sample and take it with me. I looked up Diethylstilbestrol online - it didn't sound like a very safe medication. I'd like to do research before I talk to him.

Thanks for your help.

I think the term to describe this is "spay incontinence". It is somewhat common, and your friend is right, it's usually due to early spaying, but maybe not always.

Lilly had the same thing happen about a year ago. We watched her closely, and she was leaking urine while she was sleeping, and only then. I took her to the vet, they ruled out a UTI and said not to worry unless it happened regularly.

She went a long time without any "incidents", but has had it happen a couple more times in the last year. She's due for a check up this month, so I didn't bother taking her in yet, we'll talk about it then. There's been no regularity to it, so I don't know if they'll put her on meds or not.

It is easily treated, from what I've heard, though I don't know with what medication. Good luck with Jazzy!

Daphne has been on Diethylstilbestrol for a few years now for incontinence. Same scenario as your girl. Wetting in her sleep but otherwise being completely housetrained. She was not an early spay, but by the time she was approx 3 years old we really had to do something about it. She was started on Diethylstilbestrol once a day for five days, then on a maintenance of one capsule twice a week. She has shown no ill-effect in her bloodwork. We call them her bitch pills :rolleyes: About the same time we started her on the medication she learned how to bark, became somewhat snotty with other dogs and generally just came into her own, BUT she was also at that magic age where they start to mentally mature, so I can't say that it was the meds that brought it on. Honestly I think it's just her personality!!

Thank you for the name. Now I looked up and I am pretty sure that's what she has... :rolleyes::D

I am feeling sad...for her. I don't know... I just feel that she's too young to get hormon issue. My husband said she basically had hysterectomine (sp?) when she got spayed and that I shouldn't feel bad for her. It's not like she's aging fast or anything.

I set up a special bed for her in case that happens again before wednesday. Thanks for your replies...

web page