BC Boards

Hi, New Here!

Originally posted by Lizmo:

The only reason she has a cain collar on is because I was training with her for the showing :rolleyes: Working in stacking, gaiting, ect.

Are you working on that for 4H and do they require the chain? If they don't require it, I would switch to another type of slip collar (nylon or leather).

Regardless of which type of slip collar you use on her, you should have a much smaller one. The excess chain on that one makes it lie too low on her neck. She should have one thats only big enough to fit over her head. If it lies properly around her neck, you can train more effectively without all the jerk-type corrections. Many dogs will respond to light changes on the leash if the collar is high enough on the neck. Used that way, it works more as a signal to the dog of what you want and not a constant cause of correction.

No, I am going to get her registered with the UKC, we have no 4H program around here :rolleyes: but yes, 4H was my first choice too. And I was told from another board that she would need a Chain collar and not a nylon one, but I have been thinking about getting one anyways, just to see. And yes, I agree that it is too big for her, but this is just one to practice with. Also she does fantastic with it, she does a nice clean gait with it, and a good stop and stack :D

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. And I have been helping a friend look at Aussie Breeders and I say one that does Mini Aussie's and I say one that look JUST like Lizzie, So I think she may be some BC and Mini Aussie. Just a thought

She is a neat looking dog but I'm not seeing a lot of border collie in her. Those are some very straight hindlegs and big floppy ears.
Welcome! Border Collie or not, you can learn a lot here. My first thought from Lizzie's pictures was Aussie or Aussie cross, for what it's worth. But that's irrelevent - what's important is that you love her and she has a great home with you, and she seems to be a lovely, happy dog.

I see that you are interested in the showring. You might want to read the sticky at the top of the General Section, which explains the philosophy of these boards, particularly with regards to the Border Collie, the showring, and the entire "kennel club mentality". Summed up, it is that dogs should be evaluated for what they are and what they do, not how they look.

Sue, I am not going to be showing purebred BC's, I know that in the show ring for BCs they are breeding for LOOKS and that is not okay, they should be breeding for what they were bred to do, work! If I get a purebred BC(which I hope some day I am able to) it will be for herding, Agility, and Rally ect :rolleyes: They are much happier doing that.

I would like to show Goldens when I get older:D

Katelynn, I have looked, and no where in Alabama does Canine 4H.