BC Boards

Hi, New Here!

Hi, my name is Jennifer, and I have a 2 year old BC mix(well I think mostly bc :rolleyes: ) Named Lizzie!

Anyways, She is my first dog, and is very special to me. I adopted her from our local shelter when I was 11, Lizzie was about 4 or 5 weeks old then. She had been dumped off by a person who's dog had pups but the owners did not want them.

She is now a active, 2 year old! She has been through Basic, Advanced training! We are now wroking on going into Jrs Dog Showing, through the UKC. I am hoping to maybe go to our first show this summer, when I am out of School. She is doing a very good Free-Stack from only a few times of helping her put her feet in the right place. Also she loves to herd things like the squirrels and balls in the back yard, and when she is doing this I REALLY see the BC coming out in her, She is very smart and catchs on to what you are teaching very fast.

I have gotten info in Herding sheep from a friend(she is the one who gave me the link to here..thanks!) I think Lizzie would love it, but I would like to get her tested maybe this summer or early spring.

Also I did a search on books to read and stuff, I am getting some in a few weeks,(Lessons From a Sheepdog, and Talking Sheepdog)

Anyways, just wanted to say Hi to everyone!

Here are a few pics of Lizzie

IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_1426.jpg

IMG_1444.jpg

Thanks Everyone! Yes I hope I am able to stick around and get to know some new people! And hope to get some very good info here(I know I will though).

BC Friend, yes, if I had not started out training with her and alll that, she would be into EVERYTHING! Now I know everyone may not agree with this place but she has done the Basic and Advanced class at Petsmart..now I know but I had a VERY good trainer, she knew a lot!

Anyways, nice to meet everyone!

Welcome to the boards. She's a great looking dog!

Welcome to the boards Jennifer and Lizzie.

Lizzie is a good looking girl.

Do you really need that choke chain on her?

I would get rid of it asap,if I had my way those things would be outlawed.

Welcome to the board, you sound like a very good girl. Don't worry to do lots of different things with your dog, at your age, thats what you should do. Don't worry by make Lizzie a champion at anything, but learn from her as much as you can.

I don't see much of a BC either, there is something in their eyes that make me think of a hunt breed maybe, but, who knows and who cares? she is beatiful anyway, don't let my opinion to stop you from hang in here, there are a lot of noBC owners in the forum, actually I have no dog at all, but when I miss them, I get a look on the boards.

Thank you everyone

IronHorse, The only reason she has a cain collar on is because I was training with her for the showing :rolleyes: Working in stacking, gaiting, ect.

Other wise she always wears a regular collar with her tags in it.

Really! No BC! Wow I would have never thought of that! lol Well maybe not, but from what I have read on their personality, she seems a lot like a BC, and I sorta think she has some BC on her body, just from the way she moves, she really has the BC eye when trying to herd things though. Maybe not though. But really, what breed do you see in her? With starting Jrs showing, what breed do you think she is closested to? I can post more pics if you would like. Oh and she weighs about 36 pounds

Aww, Lizzie looks like Lilly's big sister!

My kids thought it was Lilly when I first brought your pics on the computer.

DSCF2069.jpg

And honestly I thought I saw a little hunting dog in the ears of lizzie - someone suggested a golden retriever cross for Lilly - and Lizzie's has some similarities there. She's a beauty and like mine - it doesn't exactly matter - but it is fun to speculate.

But stick around, because these guys have wonderful training advice regardless!

--Denise

OMG Rose, That looks soooo much like Lizzie! Wow! Look at that tail! Looks JUST like Lizzie's!

Here is Lizzie's tail! This is an older pic..she now has more white/gray in her tail like Lilly.

IMG_1009.jpg

Lilly is a super cute btw!

When we first got Fergie, there was a hound of some ilk in our neighborhood, named Captain, who looked like a smooth-coated kin to Lizzie.

Had they been intact (which, of course, they were not), Fergie and Captain could have produced Lizzie.

She's a beauty - and I sure see BC in the basic shape and the intelligence in her eyes.

I have a BC with straighter legs than that! With BCs there is so much diversity that you never really can tell from a photo. I am glad to see you are keeping her nice and thin, that will reduce her chances of joint problems later on.

Denise, yes she does All the time too heheh

Nacey, I thought that too when I started researching BC's and stuff.

Liz, Yes, she has always been thin like that, even though they have free rain of the food bowl 24/7. Oh and thanks for the tip

Hound, have to think on that.

Her ears are so long that I'm thinking there has to be some sort of hound in there... BC/Aussie wouldn't have ears like that.

Border Collies can look like almost anything, and it's so hard to tell with mixes anyway, who knows? It doesn't matter as long as you get along well and enjoy each other. Welcome!