BC Boards

health insurance

how many of you have vet insurance for your dogs (& cats)? are you happy with it? who do you use?

thanks for any info.

Gracie has got a bad limp and I think I want to get the insurance before I even go in for the diagnosis. it has me very concerned. and I am hearing all kinds of horror stories about ligament and knee surgery

Gracie's Dad:

Just my opinion but we have VPI on our dogs and I can't say enough about them. There is a waiting period at the start, but it has been well worth the $30 a month we spend.

My Briar had to have a kidney removed 2 years ago, $3000, and VPI paid it all back but the $50 deductable. The peace of mind knowing they are covered and I don't have to make hard decision based on money alone is a relief.

My experience with VPI has been great on everything down to their routine checkups and vacs to heartworm and flea control.

So there is my two cents.

• 1 year later...
Guest LJS1993

Do you have to go to specific veterinarians? I ask because PetCo is offering pet insurance for $12.00 bucks a month with some decent coverage.

We have insurance for Holly, can't remember the name though at the minute without looking (hubby pays for it) I think they are very good idea, i have put on here before i know but we had a diabetic dog for 6yrs and no insurance. She didn't have many other health issues but it still cost a fair bit for the injections etc for those years.

It makes you realise what medications long term can cost and i should imagine major operations etc are very expensive. I will always have health insurance now for my dog/s and feel happy nowing that Holly is covered.

I would add though if you have not got any and are looking into it some companys offer different things so you need to have a close look at what you are getting. With our one it covers any illness for as long as they have it, some of them only cover one illness for 12months.