BC Boards

AK Dog Doc

muddy bob

I just wanted to take a moment to acknowledge AK Dog Doc. I'm sure other's will agree when I say how much she does by taking the time to answer all of our questions and advise us.

She's a gem. If only she lived closer I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Thank you Doctor.

Muddy

I really appreciate all of AK Dog Doc's well thought out and informative posts. Giving advice on sick pups over the 'net isn't really an easy thing to do, but she always manages to give good information to use until the dogs can be seen by a local vet, if necessary. (And she is also very good at allaying the fears of us "Nervous Nellie" types who worry about everything. :rolleyes: )

Thanks, AK Dog Doc!

She is wonderful. She helped me after my Charlotte was diagnosed with GI Tract Lymphoma at the young age of 4 yrs even though she was still hurting from loosing her own dog to the same cancer not long before... I know it brought up some upsetting memories...

She is great and we are lucky.

As you know I'm new to the Board, but I have been very impressed with AK Dog Doc - she reminds me of my vet whom I've used for 20+ years - and it's always comforting to receive a professional viewpoint as well as the comforting ones on the Board.

I don't usually post just to say the same thing other people have already said, but in this case I'll make an exception. I'd been thinking about starting a thread like this myself after some of the incredibly thoughtful and helpful posts she's made recently.

I REALLY appreciate the detail, the efforts she goes to in explaining medical concepts in terms we can all understand without dumbing them down. The world would be a better place if more people who had specialized knowledge were as as generous and articulate about sharing it as our AK Dog Doc is.

Can I say thank you too. I don't think I have asked her for advice but I have learnt so much from her posts and am very grateful. I feel like I have a support out there, particularly when I feel I can't communicate properly with my own vet ! ( My language skills problem ! ) Hope she isn't feeling too much pressure from all these outpourings :rolleyes:

I agree. Its a relief knowing there's a professional here who knows animals medically.. not just oh I heard this or that. She knows what to do and she's not afraid to hurt your feelings to tell you whats right. Good for you AK Doc. God bless you and yours

Jeez, guys! Thanks! I'm glad I was of service, and it's nice to be appreciated (although as we head into the busy season in AK, I may well be giving you a lot fewer things to appreciate about me, for want of time... my theory is that if it's nice weather in AK, you'd better take advantage of it, since there will be months on end where you won't want to step foot outside your door...) :rolleyes:

And Mark, be careful what you wish for... apparently I can be REALLY geeky! (although according to Dave, it's "in a good way". Hmm, wait a minute.... do I need to kick him in the shins...?)

P.S. to Fooshuman - Good work! :D and on the moving to a warmer climate - sorry, I believe I am made of brown sugar and will melt if exposed to excessive heat (and especially humidity).

Originally posted by AK dog doc:

And Mark, be careful what you wish for... apparently I can be REALLY geeky!

Right there with you. You know I've gone so far to find an article in which the author determined that coat color makes no difference on how hot a dog will get in the sun; and I saved the link for when this topic come up again. :eek:

The microclimate of the canine coat: the effects of heating on coat and skin temperature and relative humidity

Mark

BTW Good Morning! How's the Coffee?

I want to add my thanks to everyone else's. We are so lucky to have AK dog doc posting here -- she is a treasure!

I'm glad she has a chance to see, through this thread, how much she is appreciated. One thing I hope DOESN'T result from this thread, though, is folks PMing her for free veterinary advice. If you're having a problem and you post it on the boards, she can answer if she has time, and if she feels she has something to contribute, and if she feels she can do it within the ethical boundaries of her profession (not exceeding her licensure, or diagnosing/prescribing for dogs she hasn't seen, etc.) If you PM her, you're putting her on the spot, and IMO taking advantage of her good nature. The last thing any of us would want is for her to feel pressured or burnt out as a result of her participating here. If she gets to feeling overburdened, eventually she might stop posting, and what would we do without her?