BC Boards

Passing out

philologus

My bitch, Tiffy, is five years old and has passed out on three occasions in the last two years.

She is walking along normally and then, suddenly, collapses onto her side - eyes open but fixed stare. Within a minute she is up on her feet again, wobbly for a minute, and then running, eating, drinking etc as normal.

Anyone else had this problem who can throw some light on it or can offer suggestions as to how it can be treated please?

We had a GSD/Rough Collie who developed a seizure disorder at 12 years old and had a similar type occurrence. He would appear normal and then suddenly collapse. His eyes were also open and had a fixed stare. However, as his condition advanced his paws would twitch (like he was dreaming). Once he got a light froth at his mouth and he lost continence. The after-effects were that he seemed a little disoriented at first, very wobbly and then he appeared normal. However, he was very, very thirsty and hungry after each episodes.

The first few seizures that we noted (he probably had been having the seizures for a while, but because they were sporadic we didn't see them), were a few weeks apart. We took him in after the 3rd seizure we observed.

The vet kept him overnight for observation (he did have a seizure there). They ran blood work and did a lot of tests. He was put on meds twice a day. As long as he took them regularly, he never had another seizure.

This may not apply to what your dog is experiencing, but I know that many BCs and Collies in general are prone to have epilepsy or other seizure disorders. You might want to contact your vet and ask their opinion.

Good luck!

The above name caught my eye..We have an Allie Oops too...she got her name because she had a seizure as a young pup (she is a rescue from a puppy mill) lost her eyesight from it and being a puppy and full of energy kept running into things. Her name was already Allie and we were always saying oops along with it so it stuck.

Comment on the post: Not uncommon in BCs and highly treatable condition. Description sounds like a typical Atonic Seizure also called "drop attack" they loose all muscle tone and control, body goes limp and they just fall down. We have rescues with that type also have 2 with mild to severe Tonic Seizures with the Clonic phase displayed. Have none with true diagnosed epilepsy, which I consider much more severe and life shorting. Take her in for a vet check up get the facts and put your mind at easy. Best thoughts your way for an easy treatable case.

Summers BC Haven: Our "Allie Oop" was nicknamed that at the rescue (Wyoming Border Collie Rescue) we adopted her from (we generally just call her "Allie") -- we liked the name and kept it. She was luckier than your poor Allie Oops and is a healthy 1 yr. old, tri-color, semi-rough BC. Sorry about your Allie, I hope she is doing okay and will be able to find a forever home.

Philologus: I did not note that the vet did not feel that our dog, Kamp, had full epilepsy, either. His condition was not considered life threatening and was controlled with medication.

I do recommend that you take your pup to the vet and have them check her out.

**We got our meds from a pharmacy (chemist(?)) which was affiliated with a university medical school and the medication was very, very inexpensive there (they compounded it themselves as a teaching tool) -- about half the price of the veterinary hospital.

Thank you for the replies - they are very helpful.

I took her to the vet after the first incidence and he said that if it was sporadic and she was OK afterwards it was nothing to worry about. He said that if it happened on a regular basis I should take her back to see him. He did a blood test and ruled out full epilepsy. He also said that I should look for any pattern that might help in diagnosing the problem.

The only pattern I have observed is that it happens after a good,long run.

I take both dogs on the beach and sandbanks near where I live and let them of the leash for an hour or more. as you can imagine, they cover a lot of ground. I always take some water in the car and when we have finished the walk I give them a drink - not too much though.

I usually drop my wife off at the shops before I take the dogs out and then pick her up again when we are finished.

This is what heppened a few days ago when the incident happened:

Dropped wife off at shops 2pm.

Drove a mile and a half to beach.

Walked until 3:30.

Gave dogs a drink of water.

Drove back to shops and picked wife up.

Drove a mile and a half home home.

Tiffy jumped out of the car and walked about five yards before collapsing. (No twitching, no frothing.)

After about one minute she got up - a bit wobbly and followed me into the house where she went straight for some food and drink. (Which she normally does after a walk.)

Tiffy then went to bed for an hour (Which she normally does.)

After that you'd think that nothing had happened.