BC Boards

Odd behavior...

MaggieDog

Maggie is approaching the 7 yo mark, so I am even more on the look out for any odd things that could signal a health problem than usual. Recently I've noticed two things that make me wonder, not enough to really concern me, but I figured I'd see if anyone else has any ideas what might be going on.

In the last month or so, Maggie has started coughing a bit when she pulls on her collar, even with just a little force - it sounds just like a dog that is pulling with all its might against the leash, but she isn't. Generally she makes the coughing sound while there is pressure on the lead, but it stops when she loosens it a bit more, and it doesn't happen every time she pulls a bit, just ocassionally.

Also, she seems a lot more intent on getting fed - she used to be very laid back about feeding times, only getting hyped when she saw the bowl and heard the food bag, but now she'll actually try to get me to go into the dog room to feed her hours before I usually do. She's even walked up to me, whined, then walked to the dog room door a few times, which she has never done before. She still gets 3/4 to 1 cup of food two times a day, and though I did switch her food to Prairie from EP Holistic a few weeks ago the behavior seemed to start slightly before the switch, she's even getting less exercise than before the behavior started as well. I still don't give in to her whining and looks, and she is fed around the same time every day. She has to sit for her food and look at me before being allowed to eat as well - all of this has been in place for years!

Any idea of what might be going on with one or both of these strange things? Anything I should be really concerned about? I'm planning on talking to the vet about this stuff in April when she goes in for her DA2PP vaccine.

Not sure about the coughing thing could be alot of things. I would keep an eye on it, keep track of how often and how much. Does it increase with activity? Could be a simple irratant to the Bronchial tube.

I do know that with age the body be it human or canine is less efficient at breaking down, processing and absorbing neutriants in food. It could be that she is missing something in her diet and is attempting to ease that need the only way she can. You might consider simply speaking with your vet about supplements and such. I know that when my dogs do not get their veggie mush for an extended period of time that my older dogs are more "hungry" but when I reinstitue the veggies they are more satisfied.