BC Boards

too old to breed??

freereinfarms

Breeding is extremely demanding on the female dog. Many breeders will not breed past 6 years old... 8 is the absolute cut-off. Think of a 60 year-old woman having babies >.< that is pretty much equivalent to a 9 year-old dog whelping a litter, as 9 is when medium dogs are considered senior.

I know a lady who's 9 year-old Boxer bitch was accidentally impregnated, and she died shortly after giving birth. I really would not try it.

Please, for the sake of the bitch, do not try this. Even if you achieve a pregnancy, which is unlikely, you are quite literally risking her life. At her age, it would be wiser and kinder to spay her and spare her the risks of uterine infection, uterine and ovarian cancer, and the risk of attempting a pregnancy at her age, all of which can be avoided by spaying. In the rare cases when I have seen a bitch achieve a pregnancy at that advanced age, it has always been a single-puppy litter and not a single one so far has gone without complications, some quite severe.

JMO, but I think you'd be taking a terrible chance.