BC Boards

Fleas

Keegan's Mom

How do you get rid of fleas? How do you know if your dog has fleas?

We went to my in-laws and they got a puppy for my niece that had fleas. I wasn't concerned because the dogs are on frontline. However, we brought them home, gave them baths and put on a new application of frontline even though it has only been about 2 months (suppose to work up to 3 months for fleas and one month for ticks but we are out of tick season).

Anyway, they have been itching a lot more lately than normal. I have looked for fleas and have not found any...but they may still be there. Or could it just be dry skin? They were itching BEFORE we gave them baths and we do not bath them very often...maybe 3-4 times a year.

Rachel,

You may not actually see fleas *on* the dog, unless it's a really heavy infestation. Flease generally spend a good amount of time off the animal, and just hop on to feed. So instead of looking for fleas, look for flea "dirt." It looks like dark dirt specks, but if you wet it, you will see that it is actually red (it's the digested blood that the fleas have passed). A good place to look is on the rump near the tail, on the neck and behind the ears.

It is the time of year for dry houses, so itchiness could be related to that, but you're probably right to suspect fleas. If possible, you might want to treat your house at the same time you treat the dogs.

And FWIW, I don't believe Frontline actually lasts three months for fleas. My vet has recently told me to reapply it every 2-3 weeks for fleas--infer what you want from that.

So if I were making a concerted effort to get rid of fleas, I'd probably bomb the house, give the dogs a Capstar tablet (to kill all fleas on its body within something like 48 hours), and then treat the dogs with a topical (Frontline or Advantage). It may take more than once cycle of this process to completely eradicate fleas). Don't forget to treat/wash any pet bedding or anything else the dogs sit/lie on as all could harbor fleas or flea eggs.

J.

Thanks Julie. Where do I get Capstar?

I may want to pass this info onto my mother in law as well...she would die to think that fleas could be around for a long time.

Also, I do remember you discussing the dosage of advantage since you were considering switching. That is specifically why I reapplied frontline again before the 3 months were up.

Rachel,

Frontline hasn't even been lasting me a *month*! Some vets carry Capstar and some don't (I found that out the hard way--my local vet whom I use for everyday stuff doesn't carry it, but the higher-priced vet that I use for important stuff does....). I just think it's a useful way to quickly kill a flea infestation before they even get to the "living in the carpet" stage. I believe a lot of rescue folks use it for that reason.

On another note, do you know anyone who might be looking for a job as an accounts receivable clerk? My company (TBM Consulting Group) is looking for one, and I can forward the job description if you know of anyone looking.

Oh, while I was at Tractor Supply the other day I saw an ad for a house on 7.5 acres. I grabbed a copy so I could send the details to you, but left it at home today. Will send it along as soon as I can.

J.

Thanks Julie. We seem to be finding houses with 1-3 acres, still in a housing development...horses but nothing else allowed. Or we find 20 acres or we find acres available at $20,000 an acre...ouch!!!!

Sorry, I don't currently know anyone that is even job hunting. I will keep it in mind though in case I hear of someone.

FYI, You can get Capstar from Jeffers Pet supply. It is relatively cheap. Something like $12.00 for 6 of them I think. I usually keep a box in my van to give to my dogs whenever we have been someplace they may have picked up fleas, to try and avoid bring the fleas home.

WWBC

Originally posted by juliepoudrier:

And FWIW, I don't believe Frontline actually lasts three months for fleas. My vet has recently told me to reapply it every 2-3 weeks for fleas--infer what you want from that.

Knock wood (several hundred times), applying Frontline every 2 months has worked fine for me when it comes to fleas. Maybe the amount of infestation in the environment has something to do with it, but even when I was at an appartment complex that swam with fleas it seemed to work fine, though I may still have been applying it once a month back then. For what my dogs encounter (my club and dog shows, mainly) Frontline is tops with me (still madly knocking wood -- I hate fleas!).

Liz

I have another flea question. I'd like to find a natural product to use in my house. I & dog are about to be away for a couple of months and my housesitter has no pets. I suspect there might be some flea eggs in the house. Besides using a pesticide, is there anything I could put down on the rugs etc. for fleas?

Just remember that if you are in a household that also has cats you need to be very careful with the essential oils because some of them can be toxic to cats. I'd have to actually do a search to tell you which ones, but natural repellants come up regularly on Tick-L and there's always a caveat about lack of safety with cats.

J.

When I had a round of fleas years back, I got rid of them by applying a mix of rotenone powder and diatomaceous earth to the furniture, kennels, under mats, baseboards in the house, etc. The dogs get a bit of this powder mix on their legs and tail when I go to possible contaminated places. These two natural materials will not wear off as quickly as the chemicals for bombing the house and other sprays, etc. The diatomaceous earth works physically to kill the larvae which hatch in darker areas of the house, kennel, etc