BC Boards

Pulled Shoulder /strain advise needed

Guy Stevens

Follow your vet's advice. Lots of crate rest. No playing and no rough housing for quite awhile. Soft tissure injuries take a long time to heal........longer than a broken bone.

Kathy

Having a dog that DID have a shoulder strain I can tell you REST REST REST!

My girl severed a toe tendon on some glass in the park as a youngster, this in turn created a flat toe effect and most of the impact was taken in her shoulder when active. She competed as a young dog in agility, flyball and herding. At approx 5 she suffered from a apparent shoulder strain, possible tear(intermittent lameness,always after rest, sometimes just a step) although nothing found on altrasounds or Xrays, rested for 6 months then slowly rehabilitated. She remained sound until she turned 7 ( In her prime X-rays clearly indicated bone spurs in her rotator cuff from previous wear and tear.

She is now 9yrs old , retired from all impact sports since 7 and has days where she just hits it the wrong way and she is unable to use it.

2 years of physio and EXTRA joint support(she has always been on it!) and she is able to be fairly comfortable and a aspirin here and there will help with the creaks...

Good Luck with the rest. Mags became obsessed with the cookie jar

She learned ALOT of new tricks during her rest time.

I'm hearing the advise. Rest, but having a 8 mo.BC puppy rest is impossible. I have been carrying him down the stairs when I can but thats not changing anything. I have stopped all outdoor play since the Aug 15 when he pulled it. We have light play but nothing like he wants. Seems to get better then a pull get's him limping again.

Are long walks out of the question?

When I started the first time I still did short leash walks for the first month , she was STILL sore after and so I had to go to complete rest NO walks, out for pee back in the house...no stairs, no jumping....

It was TOUGH! Did that for 4-6(this was after 1 month of just leash walks) weeks then started 5 min on leash for 3 days, increase by 5 minutes each 3 days till I reached a hr of walking, then started off leash work same way 5 min increase every 3 days. Lots of mental work, start hand feeding and working for meals, stationary tricks....

stuff kongs ect...

good luck

YES! It could be OCD! I guess I just assumed you had it check OOOPS!

Careful with the chiropractor it actually irritated my dogs shoulder I found the physio and ultrasound much more effective. Usually if the skeleton is out of place it is due to soft tissue, while the chiropractor can put it back in place if you dont find to source you will just end up back in the same place......apparently NOT the thing to do with this particular injury I do know people who have used a chiropractor WITH physio and dogs have done well. IN MY particular case it actually made it worse.

Cindy