BC Boards

4 MONTH OLD PUPS

gale

Could be mange (a small mite). Get a bottle of dip mix from your vet supply or feed store. Cost about $8-$10. Mix accorcing to directions with water and dip the dog in a tub of the mix. Discard the dip afterwards. I use this to control ticks and fles. Last about a month or so. We have not had mange but my neighbor did this summer. The dip solved the problem. Hope this helps.

You should bring the pups into the vet to have a skin scraping done before just treating them yourself. There are different types of mites which can require different treatments.

Yes, dip won't get demodex mites - which don't cause much itching but can cause secondary infections which are intensely uncomfortable (and also must be treated by a vet). You can also have secondary infections from sarcoptic mange, which can become very serious very quickly in a four month old puppy.

My rule of thumb is, anything that goes wrong in a pup under six months old, I'm beating on the vet's door pretty quick.

I had the same problem with one of my dogs last year.

The thing was that I was bathing her every week, and that made her skin dry which caused to itch. So now I bathe her once every month and a half or so, and bought a shampoo that has oatmeal.

Hope this helps

Ancira