BC Boards

Update on baileys sore - help

Claire Owen

The sore is looking really nasty now but I think its because he keeps scratching it! I rang my vets earlier to see if I can take him in to have it looked at but they're closed indefinately (its only a tiny practice) for some reason, everyones being refered to Oxford, which I cant get to as I dont drive. I live in the middle of nowhere and cant get him to any vets! I would ask a friend for a lift but Bailey gets car sick and I cant have him being ill in someone elses car, (non of my friends are 'dog people')! I'll keep trying the vets until they're open but for now does anyone know how I can keep Bailey from scratching his neck. I'm cleaning the sore with salt water, is that ok?

As much as it stings, do you have any iodine? That's real good for cleaning wounds, and it doesn't sting as much as rubbing alcohol (at least in my experience). It also helps with infections.

I don't know what to tell you for the car sickness... I can't really help. Kellie loves her car rides. Could it be that Bailey has negative connotations with autos?

I don't know what the content of salt to water is in saline...but I clean with saline solution that I also use on my contacts.

KillerH has said on these boards that feeding a ginger snap before traveling will help with car sickness. I luckily haven't had to try that out...Tess has gotten over her car sickness with age.

Hope you get to the vet soon or at least try out the ginger snap idea...then put down lots of blankets and have spares. A true friend wouldn't mind if you really needed to get your dog to the vet.

General info....

The concentration of salt in saline is 0.9%, which is what is in the saline used for contact lenses.

For using betadine to clean wounds, I generally dilute it in saline (preferably) or water to the color of iced tea. Sponge clean, pat dry.

Keeping any infection that might be present under control will decrease the itching, but not immediately. Cold water compresses may help with that. Bear in mind that moisture is your enemy with skin infections, so you might slip a cold wet washcloth into a plastic bag to keep from soaking the surrounding coat and creating a new issue.

Do you have anything to dress the skin with to control infection? In the U.S., it's usually Neosporin, which generally does no harm and may do a little or a lot of good. GENERAL rule of thumb on skin lesions is that with a moist lesion you want to dry it out, and with a dry one you want to moisten it. Many exceptions exist, but without seeing it, that's probably the best I can do.

it's usually Neosporin, which generally does no harm and may do a little or a lot of good
Whats Neosporin, I havent heard of it but should be able to get something similar!

A true friend wouldn't mind if you really needed to get your dog to the vet
I would have no trouble getting a lift from a good friend, but I've only just moved to this area and dont really know anyone that well yet. Typical, huh?!

Thanks for all the advice, I hope the vets re-open soon! I feel so helpless, Bailey is going loopy because we cant take him out for proper walks (cant use a lead, and he escaped the halti yesterday!)

How about a harness?

They're healthier for leash pullers, anyway, I think.

I'm thinking of something like this:

DSCN0279kl.jpg

the front part never goes higher than this, no matter how much she pulls.

Neosporin is a triple antibiotic ointment... neomycin, polymixin and bacitracin in a sort of surgical-grade vaseline-type carrier base. A must-have staple for the doggie first-aid kit, IMO.

Can you temporarily pad the area of the harness that rides on the sore with some fleece or something? Not ideal, maybe, but it might be a compromise solution. You can always put a T-shirt under the harness to decrease any abrasion from the fleece. The other little dogs may laugh at him, but a BC on the move is having the last laugh anyhow.

Sandy - nice photo! Reminds me of Hatcher Pass up here in AK.

Originally posted by AK dog doc:

Sandy - nice photo! Reminds me of Hatcher Pass up here in AK.

Thanks This is in the "Zillertal", in Austria.

Claire, I don't know what kind of harness you have, but I think if I made the shoulder straps of Kessie's harness longer and the belly strap shorter, it would sit lower on the chest. I haven't tried it though, so I'm not sure if that makes sense.

Hi again guys, I was just wandering :confused: (before I did it), I've found a bandage and an considering using it to cover bailey's neck. Obviously I wont leave him alone with it on but I thought it might help to stop him scratching it, the sore is looking miles better today as he didnt stractch it all day yesterday or last night (I left a T-shirt on him - which is now in pieces!) so I just thought it keep getting better if I can stop him from scratching it! My vets are still closed :mad: , just tried calling again. Not feeling as bad as I did yesterday, I just feel so guilty about not being able to do anything for him :rolleyes: !