BC Boards

Lump on Baileys throat

Claire Owen

Hi, I've just noticed a strange lump on Baileys neck, under his chin. I have no idea how long its been there as it was hidden by his collar, feel bad for not finding it earlier. Its about the size of a bottle cap and looks like a scab, but neither me or my husband noticed him bleeding at any point. Its raised up from the skin by about half a cm. The fur around it seems very thin. Also its almost perfectly round. I would be so worried and just assume he's hurt himself somehow if it wasnt for the size and shape. If you have any idea what this could be I'd really appreciate hearing from you. Thanks for any help. Claire x baileyneck.jpeg

Could it be a scab with an infection under it? Sometimes when you pull out a tick and the head doesn't come out with it, the place looks a bit like that after a while. But so large :confused:

Maybe the collar rubbed the skin off and it's healing now? You wouldn't see any bleeding then.

I thought about it being his collar but it just below the collar line, so although I couldnt see it the collar didnt actually touch it... I dont think anyway. Not sure about the tick thing because I havent pulled any out from there. I think I'll just keep an eye on it rather than rushing him to the vets just yet. Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it

Welcome to the boards Claire.

Ummm.... it does look an aweful lot like the scaps Kellie used to get when I had hard wood floors, but your pic looks like there is fur growing out of it??? :confused:

Not sure what to tell ya...

Thanks for the welcome, Yeah, I dont quite know how to explain it without grossing people out. It looks like a scab but the fur hasnt been rubbed away completely some of its matted within the scab (for want od a better word. I cant see how a soft leather collar could rub enough to cause it though. I'm completely stumped, I've never seen anything like it, its only a few inches below his adams apple, right in the middle. Strange huh?

You might try taking a temp on him. My dog had something very similar (same location, description, etc) & within a few days it swelled tremendously. It ended up being an abscess. We never figured out what caused it. They put her on antibiotics & it came down, but recurred about a week later. The second time it burst on its own & was fine. So, we think it was a foreign body (sticker or something) that managed to come out the second time. I think this is a fairly common place for this kind of thing as dogs get low to the ground working or playing.

Dana

Not without a thermometer. It's not a bad thing to have on hand & you can get them pretty cheap at almost any place. Here in the US you can get them for about $5. Any of the regular oral thermometers for people can generally be used rectally for dogs.

Some other symptoms to watch for (in any type of infection) are: loss of appetite, lower activity level, swelling, heat in the area, redness of skin, and/or pain reaction.

You'll know if it is an abscess relatively quickly. Mainly, I'd watch to see if changes in size. If it's an abcess, it will probably start swelling up in the next few days as fluid accumulates. They are pretty gross, but not generally life threatening - they just need to get antibiotics, have the site flushed, & sometimes if it won't clear up you'll need to have further work to make sure any foreign bodies are removed.

Dana

Originally posted by Claire Owen:

its only a few inches below his adams apple, right in the middle. Strange huh?

Is he a leash puller? My dog used to pull so hard it made her choke and cough, but that didn't stop her pulling. I'm quite sure that if she had rubbed herself raw, it wouldn't have stopped her, either.

At least that would explain the location.

Welcome to the boards, a dogs normal temp is 101-102, any thing above or below might be worth checking out. I would watch it carefully. Abcess will re-occur if not treated with antibiotics. If it doesn't change or break you may still want to get it checked out.

Andrea D.

Hi, thanks for all the great advice, dont think its an abcess as the swelling has gone down a bit, he is a leash puller, so it could be that I suppose but its a lot wider than his leash, so still not sure. Keeping a close eye on it though but he seems fine in himself, still full of energy and wanting to play fetch 24/7!

It could be a pressure sore. Kellie turned up with several on her legs. I don't know wjat's causing it yet, but I'm on the lookout.

Hey guys, I've just checked on Baileys neck and its a right mess. The swellings come up a lot, although I dont think its an adcess, looking at it I'd say he'd scratched it. It doesnt seem to be bothering him but does anyone know anyway I can stop him from scratching it, perhaps cover it with something?

Claire - It might be best to take Bailey to the vet and have this checked out. It is possible that there is an infection within the skin that will require the use of antibiotics.

In addition, there are some cancers (don't panic) that can be very variable and may mimic skin infections, warts, or other things. I just can't remember what they are called but I have had two of my dogs with skin abnormalities to the vet, who checked with a needle biopsy to rule out the possibility of cancer.

When the biopsy came back negative for cancerous cells (it just took a few minutes), the vet proceeded to treat the one dog for a skin infection, which has subsequently healed nicely. The other dog has a wart and is just fine.

Advice on the boards can be very helpful but, in this case, perhaps it's time to get an in-person, professional opinion for Bailey's sake.

Okay mystery solved (I think), as I realsied in my other thread about training Bailey on a lead, we only started using a new slip lead about a month ago. I cant believe I didnt think of it sooner. Wont be using that lead again! Thanks for all you advice though, and I will be keeping a very close eye on how it heels now!