BC Boards

Help Possible tick disease

Nellie's Dad

We found a tick on Nellie Wednesday night and are a little concerned right now about tick diseases. We have talked to the vet and he told us to look for lethargy, vomiting, diareha (sp?), and lack of appetite. The tick was engorged, so it had been on her for a while.

The vet said that there isn't much in the way of tick diseases here but to keep an eye on her.

She has not really had a lack of appetite, has continued with her frisbee and walks without any noticeable problems, however, she did vomit today and has been more interested in going outside than eating dinner.

I guess I was just wondering maybe more specific symptoms to help us figure out what to look for. We are going to take her to the vet tomorrow to see what they think.

Thanks for your help.

I don't know of any. My family has removed dozens of ticks from our animals, both domestic and our wildlife rehabers without any diseases problems.

Hopefully that can help put you somewhat at ease. Still watch Nellie, but I wouldn't stress.

I'm originally from Michigan and I had never seen a tick until I moved to the south. It was crawling on my old Mick. I put it in a container and brought it to a friend to ask her what it was.

I was totally freaked out and concerned. I've since removed countless ticks from my dogs and myself even. I still hate them and they still freak me out. In fact, I keep a pair of tweezers in my purse in case I need to pull one off.

That said, ticks are generally nothing more than disgusting. I would guess that the chances of Nellie getting sick from one is really quite slim.

Keep an eye out for the symptoms you mentioned but try not to worry.

Nellie's Dad,

Unfortunately, many symptoms of tick-borne diseases are very vague and can mimic other diseases. There are some folks who believe in giving doxycycline after exposure to a tick bite as a preventive against potentially developing a disease. I don't remember the specifics, but it has been discussed on tick-l. You could do a Google search and probably find useful information.

Since Ohio State has a college of veterinary medicine, you or your vet might be able to get more specific information from them regarding TBDs.

J.