BC Boards

Frontline & swimming?

nancy

The @#$%^&*ed dog!

This morning, I put Frontline on Fergie. Then we went for our pre-breakfast walk. It was a lovely fall morning, finally. Clear skies, cool air - not of the low pressure that upsets her, no hints of thunder, no dead-still air to carry the skeet shooting noises the five miles to bother her. She seemed to be enjoying it as much as I.

Through the woods, along the pond, watching ducks and geese on the other side. Then we go onto the old, tree-covered dam. And she bolted ahead and dove in! This is a dog who won't get into that pond unless she's really overheated or she hears those scary noises. Today, she has to decide on a nice swim!

So, do I need to re-apply the Frontline? It had been on her for ~15 minutes. I hate to leave her vulnerable to fleas and ticks, but I also hate to over-medicate.

In clasic barn-door closing mode, we are keeping her on-leash until Thursday afternoon.

Yeah, she sure pulled a Keegan. And came out just as green. It would have been funny if I weren't so pissed. I even tried to grab her tail as she went in - and almost joined her.

I'm a tad embarrassed to call the vet because, although I just bough a year's supply of Interceptor from him, I buy my Frontline on the web.

Having been raised among Congregationalists and Catholics, in good old New England, I have quite a capacity for guilt.

Trust a Border Collie to decide she now wants to go swimming JUST after you've put the Frontline on.

Yes, you'd need to reapply I'd think. I'm pretty sure the instructions say 48 hours before bathing or swimming. I'd certainly want to leave it that long. Looks like your walks in the next couple days will have to avoid the pond. :rolleyes:

We're just using the 25-foot retractable leash for now. With the martingale collar so she can't pull out of it. What a dog.

What the package says is to not shamoo or bathe the dog - something rather specific anyhow. And Chuck could still feel the stuff (or some of it) on her fur yesterday afternoon. So we've decided to hold off and see if she gets any critters on her. If so, we'll deal with that, then add the Frontline.

We suspect the Frontline in her recent eppisodes of really, really loose and explosive stools. Seemed to happen only after her monthly meds - but not always. So this time we swparated the Interceptor dose from the Frontline by 4 days. The Interceptor didn't cause any problem. So we hate to do an extra dose of the remaining suspect.

It is recommended that the dog not go swimming or be bathed for 2-3 days after application. If you are that concerned about her picking up ticks or fleas I would re-apply another dose of frontline. Just because you can feel some of it on her coat does not mean that she absorbed it into her skin. Mostly that is the residue that typically is left behind.

i put flee treatment on abbie almost 2 weeks ago but the next day she had flees again...??...i had washed all her bedding so the couldn't have been in there. i didn't want to re-apply because the pack said not to until 2-3 weeks. i dont like her having flees. should i just re-apply it? its been almost two weeks so it should be fine but do you think i could have last week?? :confused: