BC Boards

Need Ideas

Dream Puppy

My almost 15 week old pup gets car sick. Violently car sick. We have tried having him in his seat belt in th ebak seat with all windows and the moon roof open. We have put him in his crate. We have covered the crate uncovered the crate. We have tried feeding him just prior to the trip, not feeding him before the trip, feedign him several hours before the trip, feeding him tummy soothing foods just before the trip, hours before the trip etc. Nothing seems to help. The vet had two suggestions. Just have lots of towels handy in the crate or seat and wait until he grows out of it or she could give us a perscription for something like dramamine. I would consider the dramamine for a long trip but I do not like the idea of using it for a trip to SAR training or even the pet store.

Anyone have any ideas? Anything that helped their pup? Any ideas are welcome.

Liz

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Thank you

The ginger snaps seem to be working. We have taken several trips since this suggestion and so far so good. He has not gotten sick. He did not even get sick when we had to go get the kids from the afterschool activiites. I gave him two before getting in the car and then my son gave him two more on the way there.

This is such a releif.

LIz

Liz, this is fascinating. Do ginger snaps really work ? When you say you gave him 2 before getting in the car - how soon before you actually got in the car did you give them ? I have a problem with my pup too - we don't feed him if we are going anywhere but he still retches if we go on a longish trip. I didn't think jelly beans sounded too healthy, but I would be willing to try ginger snaps if I can get them over here !

It's the ginger in the ginger snaps that are doing the trick. Ginger has been used for centuries for motion sickness- people used to chew ginger root on ship voyages to keep from getting sick.

You can also just get ginger capsules at a health food store to keep on hand,including in your vehicle. I use them all the time.

I would think it would not be hard to find a cookie or something with ginger in it in Japan. My bet is you could use fresh ginger as well but no idea how much to use.

When I say we gave two cookies before we left it was about 30 mins before as we were rushing around like crazy to get out of here.

We used a locally made Moravian spice cookie only because I had it on hand. (He is very lucky I love him so much as these are my favorite special cookie that I do not even share with my kids.)

Liz

When I was pregnant and had morning sickness, a midwife told me to put powdered ginger into empty gelatin capsuls from the health food store and take them. That did seem to help a lot.You could put grated fresh ginger into the capsules as well. I am sure you can purchase the capsules online somewhere....they come in several different sizes.

When an aunt who was suffering from cancer was very nauseated, she found ginger beer jelly (as in jello sort of jelly, not jam) really helpful. Just confirms the ginger as an anti nausea thing.

I've also heard you can get/make some sort of ginger smelling thing to hang in front of the air coming into the car.

Ginger snaps are probably easier, though, and it's probably comforting for the dog to have something in his tummy.

Can I come in here again ?! I tried the fresh ginger today but he threw up bad even though I hadn't fed him this morning. I bought some empty capsules and put a little bit of grated ginger in. I gave him 2 -as I couldn't fill them up very well- about 40 minutes before we set off. We did go to the mountains today for SAR training so it wasn't the best drive for him - lots of winding roads. Poor guy...... He was ok on the way back though. Dylan just starts dribbling even before we get in the car. I trained him to jump in by himself using treats a long time ago, and he WANTS to come along but.. Maybe it was too much ginger and too tough a ride. I think it is a psychological thing with him too... He thinks he is going to be sick based on experience and so feels bad even before we start. Maybe I'll try the ginger snaps - or the crystallized ginger, I hadn't thought of that. I only get use of the car at weekends so it is difficult to accustomize him slowly because we have to go places. Maybe next time when hubby goes away on business. :rolleyes: