BC Boards

Need help with neuro problem

kajarrel

Last evening we took the dogs out to put up fence with us. My Yeats dog was digging in the manure pile for a few minutes (he was only outside for about 10). When I called to him, he wasn't able to stand. We got him to the vet's within about 15 minutes. He was conscious, but not bright - obviously scared. His front legs were hyperextended and shaking, alhtough he was able to try to stand with them, and his back legs would not hold his weight. He was febrile on admission to the vet hospital. They drew serum glucose, which was normal. All other labs were normal including for tick borne disease. He was treated with Valium for presumed atypical seizure activity. Today, he's afebrile, mentally bright (altho still scared), but his back legs, particularly on his left side, are not working. He does feel pain. They don't think it's a toxic reaction because of the assymetry. He was started on high doses of IV steroids. Probably will go to Cornell in 24 hours if no improvement. Any ideas? My vet is perplexed and so am I. Kim

Have your vet check out fibrocartilaginous embolism(FCE) too. It is basically a stroke in the spinal column which can affect the dog strangely.

Check out this web site too as it has some information on FCE.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_fibro...s_embolism.html

Kathy

Thanks, guys! It probably isn't mushrooms because they usually result in bilateral effects (thanks also for your well wishes, we need them). But I read some more about FCE and this, other than his shaking, sounds possible. I'm so glad we started him on the high dose steroids today and that he has pain sensation (since this apparently is r/t a better prognosis if it is, indeed, FCE). I'm going in to visit first thing in the a.m. and will suggest this as a possibility and make sure his steroid dose is adequate since we're still in the 24 - 48 hour window. I'd still be interested in other ideas. I have a great working relationship with this vet so he'll be open to suggestions.

THANKS SO MUCH!

Kim

An update:

Yeats was able to stand with help this a.m. He's not really weight bearing on the affected leg yet, but does make "scratching" motions with it when his belly's rubbed. They've switched him to oral prenisolone and plan on sending him home tonight for me to rehab. I'm so thrilled about his quick progress - from what I read about FCE (thanks Kathy!) this bodes well for his recovery.

Thanks again for the info and kind words.

Kim

Thanks for responding, Nancy. Yes they did (have been doing neuro checks). The deficits are all in his lower extremity now.

It looks pretty much like FCE. I decided not to have further tests done(imaging) because he's responding to the steroids, the results are frequently inconclusive and he's pretty traumatized from being away from home at this point.

I'm thrilled that he's doing so much better, to say the least. It's been a scary experience (for all of us). I think the key was timely treatment and, because of that, truly appreciate the help I've received.

Kim

Kim

I am glad to hear that he is improving so well Kim. FCE is scary. I had a dog who suffered from it, but it happened on the weekend and by the time he was diagnosed it was too late for steroids. He seemed to recover mostly, was still a little wobbly at times.

Kathy

I was not real nice to the on call vet, who was a little disturbed that she was going to be late for a picnic, or else we probably would have had him seen on Monday, rather than on Sunday. The vets around here have been cutting back on their services (This practice used to take care of all my animals. Now they only take care of my small domestic animals. I have another vet for my horses, and yet another for my sheep and livestock.) I don't know what I'll do if we loose weekend coverage.

Kim