BC Boards

Possible Mange

Cody's pop

Looks like Cody Blue,my 2 1/2 yr old BC has a case of sarcoptic mange.Not sure yet,he goes to the vet on Friday.Problem is I believe that is where he got it in the first place.I have 5 dogs,all living inside the fences on our farm.The only dog affected is Cody,and he is the only one who has been off the farm when he went to the vets for the day to be neutered about 5 weeks ago.Shortly after he started itching,and I checked for fleas,none found he is on frontline.So I changed his diet from Natural Blend to Chicken Soup and started a coat supplement with Omega-3 and use olive oil on his food about two weeks ago>last night he got his weekly bath(oatmeal shampoo) and for the first time I noticed how thin his hair was getting on the back of his legs and on his side near his belly.Also some small scabs and irritation.I'm really ticked as I truly believe he picked it up at the vets,who actually specialize on horses more than dogs.They claim coyotes gave it to him,but we don't have that problem inside our double 6 ft fences,with horse paddocks surrounding our home that the coyotes can't get through.Add 5 dogs that patrol the area and you get the picture.He was crated the entire day at the vets when he was neutered,and I blame them,they are really much more horse oriented than dog or cat,thats where the big money is in this area for a vet.Their "Equine Hospital" is not really the cleanest in the examining rooms they use for dogs and cats.They are also talking about the dip procedure and I think it may be unnecessary and just a way to pump up my bill,they haven't even seen him yet.Any Opinions on the whole mess? :mad: :eek:

When my pup got it, my vet insisted that I'd spend some hundreds for the dip but after consulting the boards, I didn't do anything and it went away. I think her mange was from her mom since she was only a puppy.

Cody's Pop,

I've got 12 or 13 pages of anecdotal info about dealing with mange that I'll be glad to copy and send to you if you want to email me with your address. organize @ sonic. net (take out the spaces)

There's a lot of info about how to supplement to boost the immune system and improve the general health of the skin.

When Buzz had mange, our vet had us wash the area with HibiCleanse (sp?) from the drugstore and apply a benzoyl peroxide cream, which is dr. talk for generic acne medication. Buzz's spots were small, though, so I don't know if that would work for what you're describing.

If it were me, I'd give a really healthy diet and some supplements about a month before I'd resort to dips, they can be really really hard on a dog.

Good luck, let me know if you want the info I've gathered.

Ruth n the BC3

Keep in mind that there are two types of mange mites- demodex and sarcoptic (scabies.) If I can recall from my vet tech days (waaaay back) scabies is more contagious and tougher to eradicate, although my memory is not exactly stellar. Does the Revolution treat both? That would be a handy thing to have, seeing as how the treatment of choice for most vets is one thing that probably shouldn't be used on border collies (Ivermectin.)

Cody is a red and white Split-face border,and generally very healthy.I do have trouble with his weight,he seems thin to me,though he gets as much food every day as my Great pyrenees.(about 4 cups)He is very active and just runs it off.I worked as a veteranarian assistant about 35 yrs ago while in high school and we had this problem often,treat one dog at the clinic and a half dozen pick it up there and come back.I hope it will not take a lot to get rid of this mange,we pay a lot of attention to him and it really isn't too extensive yet.Dips are definately a last resort.So far the other dogs show no evidence of contagion,they are being bathed weekly with a good oatmeal based shampoo,but this weekend's baths will be with a medicated anti-mange shampoo.I will definately be sending you an e-mail Urge to herd.Any info I can get is greatly appreciated.

Are you sure it's mange and not some sort of allergic reaction? Dogs who scratch (say, for example, because of flea allergy--and remember that many topical products still allow fleas to bite and it's flea saliva that causes the reaction) will cause scabs and the scratched areas can become infected (been there). So, I think I'd get a definitive diagnosis from the vet if you haven't already and then go from there.

J.

Originally posted by juliepoudrier:

Are you sure it's mange and not some sort of allergic reaction?...So, I think I'd get a definitive diagnosis from the vet if you haven't already and then go from there.

J.

I agree, when I've seen Sarc. mange show up on rescue dogs, it initially starts with a small spot - like around the muzzle or eyes - not all over the belly and inner thighs. Sounds more like an allergic reaction (maybe to the anesthetic, or whatever they used to clean him with pre-surgery). I've seen dogs who have reactions to the iodine based surgical scrub, and also, really blow coat after a surgery due to "anesthesia stress". I'd get a skin scraping done to confirm mange before treating (and I've also had good luck treating with injectable ivermectin, even on a sheltie and a BC - but they were two that had been previously on heartguard, so I wasn't worried about and ivermectin reaction too much). I believe there's A DNA test now that tests for Ivermectin sensitivity, by the way.

How about finding a vet to take care of your dogs who is a small animal vet, instead of vets that you feel are not really into treating dogs?

I second the comments on checking out other possibilities than mange. Our old Rocket had mange some years ago and the symptoms showed up on his ears and around his eyes. We had to bathe him weekly in a treatment, and it was very successful. I don't remember what type of mange it was. He was never really itchy with it.

Our Mac did have symptoms similar to what you describe and a change of food solved his problems. Turned out he was allergic to a component of the dog food we were feeding at the time.

My brother-in-law had a dog some years ago that was allergic to flea bites, and his symptoms began similar to what you have desribed, as well.

Cody visits the vet tomorrow so we should be certain what his affliction actually is soon.I'm still not certain whether to change vets or not,we use the ones we have because we have a horse farm and it is nice to get the dogs vaccinations every year at the same time as the horses get theirs,during a house call from these vets.We really like the vet we use.There are four that work out of this facility,and the fact that they only go there for treatment that is out of the ordinary annual checkups and vaccinations.I guess what I mean is I'm going to see how they handle this situation and determine then who will treat my dogs.I could get lucky and have it be a food or flea allergy,but it's not likely.He was on Natural blend for over a year with no reaction and has been on frontline since he was old enough and has never had a flea problem.I did change his food to Chicken soup when the itching started getting bad as I suspected a food allergy,about two weeks ago. I'm going to have them check for lyme,but he seems just fine other than the classic itch,hairloss,flaking and scabbing of sarcoptic mange.My biggest fear is that the other dogs are infected and we have an epidemic that will be a struggle to resolve.So far none of the others show any sign,two more BCs, a Pyr and a lab/beagle mix.

I'd go to raw feeding and choose one easy protien for now to cut down on the allergen. Generally when a dog develops allergies it's because they are reacting to multiple things and cutting down the allergen exposure is generally helpful. Say, if you dog is allergic to rice or all grain, pollen, and dust, if you cut out the grain and dust then your dog only has to deal with the pollen and might react less. When Miztiki comes back ask her- Her Boyden is allergic to just about everything.

• 1 month later...