BC Boards

Anastesia paraniod.

jeanine

I had a really old BC he was 16 and had to have his annal glands done, I was really worried about the same thing, but my vet assured me with modern methods he would be fine so I took the chance. He was great and had no trouble at all, that was 12 years ago so its probably even safer now, so good luck.

Elsie and Badger

I work for a vet hospital...we have only lost one animal in the last seven years under anesthesia. One young cat, no pre-anesthetic bloodwork authorized, just a routine spay, and this year an elderly lab with a bleeding tumor in his abdomen--a grave risk in any case. I understand your concern, but it is as safe as it can be these days, and we do at least 3-5 anesthetic procedures every day. Go with your vet's recommendations about preliminary testing, and while I know you're going to worry, it'll be okay. I have never heard BC's were any more sensitive than other canines, at least about gas anesthesia. Ivermectin, sure, but not anesthesia.

You will, and it will be. Can't help it, you care and this is your dear one. I once almost got written up at work for putting "Don't let him die!!!" on a check-in sheet for my Luke when he got neutered, his first anesthesia. When I explained that it was in "fun", sort of, that when he was sick I was a client, just like all the worried people who brought their pets in for us to work on, the Powers That Be weren't amused. I haven't done it again, but I sure do sweat it anyway. It's natural, and I KNOW how safe it is.

Try not to pass on your anxiety to your pet, that's a good reason to try to chill about it. Go have a mess of stiff drinks or something (then get somebody to drive ya'll up there).

happy neuter-day!!

Hi Jeanine

Words to put you at ease...I am a vet and anesthesia and surgery will go smoothly and your baby will be just fine.

I, personally, don't like using acepromazine as a premedication in the herding breeds, they seem to be a little slow metabolizing it. That is a personal opinion but you may mention it to your veterinarian.

Hope this helps,

and thanks for getting your dog neutered.

JBP

I like telazol just fine. Understand that waking up from telazol looks a little funny--head goes back and forth like watching a tennis match, and the tongue sticks out and curls up towards the nose.

Oh, it should not be used in epileptic dogs.