BC Boards

Rescue Remedy

kbender

I found it helpful with my pup that suffered from anxiety after she left the litter, and for carsickness. I think it helped. She certainly improved after I started using it.

I used it on myself for a while and liked the effect. It got me through a pretty rough lambing this year that ended with my whole family getting influenza.

Then I used it with Ollie for a period of really bad seperation anxiety. The result was pretty and hard to miss, the most obvious I've ever seen. I put a few drops in his water and he went from frothing at the mouth screaming to relative calm in less than an hour. It seemed to break whatever mental cycle he'd gotten into and he was much more philosophical about his crate time after that (unless he didn't get his walks for some reason).

I've tried it on Solo. No effect.

Also tried it on myself. No effect whatsoever. I think perhaps if I drank the entire bottle it might do something, but that's only because the stuff uses brandy or something like that as a vehicle.

Personally I consider it a waste of money, but at least it won't hurt your dog.

I use it for Happy when we go someplace with other dogs, as she gets stressed, at her fisrt agility trial the first run she was so nervous she was everywhere, she could not keep her head straight, so the second time we gave her RR and it calmed her down a lot, she d=still did not do great but there was less running around like a maniac, and she was not so afraid of the dog walk lol my mom has also used it for herself, and it helped her a ton.

Our dog is terrified of thunderstorms and has woken us in the middle of the night panicking. We're afraid of how she'll be when my husband goes back to work, so it was recommended by a few people that we try this. I asked the vet about it first, and he didn't see a problem. He hadn't heard, yet, if anyone had used it and what effects they had, so he gave us a small sample bottle he had to try. Asking that we let him know what the results were.

There's a chance of a thunderstorm tomorrow, so we just put a few drops in her water dish this am, per our vets suggestion. We'll see what happens. But I was wondering if anyone else had tried it yet and what you thought of it.

We also know the 4th of July is approaching rapidly and the vet suggested we may need to give her doggie valiums at that point. In fact, he said his phone starts ringing like crazy about this issue starting July 1, every year.

Thanks

Luke is petrified of thunderstorms and will run upstairs and hide under the bed. If there is a prediction of thunderstorms I give him four drops in a small bit of water. He likes it and it does seem to take the edge off when it starts to thunder. It has been suggested to me to rub a small bit on the top of their nose and/or the pads of their feet if they won't drink it. Also, it should be given a short time before the thunder begins. Usually with a pressure change you can see by observing when it might be time to give it.

I have used it multiple times, on multiple dogs, in multiple situations. I have never seen it make one iota of difference. Just my experience.

I also have had no success with B vitamines, "Stress-Ease," Melatonin or some holistic stuff a friend sent me, for my anxious beast. SJW worked wonderfully for Red Dog, but has not touched Tweed's problems. So I would imagine different "remedies" work different for different dogs with different issues.

How's that for noncomittal?

RDM

Here is some info on flower essences. This is a wonderful company in the north east.

http://www.greenhopeessences.com/

Check out "What are flower essences" and check out there section just for pets.

It is over the top New Agey. But if you can bear with that/ignore that they have some great stuff. The theory behind essences are that they are vibrational energy. If your electrical system isn't in need of a particular essence it won't work. Resuce Remedy is too often put out there as a blanket solution. Green Hope's choices are more diverse. Plus they do not use alcohol as the base!

They are really nice people.

Jennifer