BC Boards

root canal vs. pulling

cndlyn

HI everyone,

Took my 8(?)year old Bear to the vet's last week for my annual "empty out the old pocketbook time" and he said he was concerned about Bears' back teeth wearing down so much. He wants us to think about root canals for two of them or the other alternative is to pull them. He is afraid they are wore down to the point of going to start getting infections. He told us it could wait for a few months, but we should start thinking of the best alternative. Rough estimate ($450.00 to $500.00 for one tooth. vs. about $200.00 to pull them). Has anyone here had to get their BC a root canal? Would you do it again? What about pulling the teeth? What has been your experience with this topics. Thanks!

Our old Mac had two broken back teeth, one of which had developed a large abscess. They were both removed under anesthesia and Mac has done wonderfully since.

Since a dog's jaw is so dependent on the canines for its strength, a root canal might be a good idea if one of those was in jeopardy.

Solo's had two root canals, one on a maxillary canine and one on a maxillary fourth premolar (the first large chewing tooth). I went this route because I wanted him to retain function of the teeth, because he is a young dog (just turned six) and because a root canal is much less traumatic for the dog and requires almost no recovery time vs. a removal.

Dog teeth, with the exception perhaps of the small incisors and teeth with advanced periodontal disease, cannot be "pulled." They are removed surgically by incising the gums and then removing the bone covering the root until the tooth root is exposed and the tooth is wrenched from the socket. A root canal costs more, but I felt it was the right choice for my dog.

If I thought he would rebreak the teeth I would have opted for removal instead.

There has been a LOT of discussion on this topic (including a lot from me) so a search of the archives is in order.