BC Boards

can dogs get pimples?

Maggie has a little bump on her muzzle - upon squeezing it it oozed some pus, just like a pimple. It doesn't seem to bother her at all and she was good about letting me mess with her muzzle while I was looking at it. I put hydrogen peroxide on the bump and gave her a treat for being so good and she's just as happy as usual.

Should I be worried about the bump? I'll keep an eye on it of course, but figured I'd get some additional input from you all.

Could it be an ant bite?...they do the same oozing kind of stuff. Gyp got at least 6 bites on her tummy when she was a bit younger and they looked just like pimples, except I knew they were ant bites because I was standing right there when she got bit.

Just my opinion, other that that I honestly don't know if that is what the bump is.

I don't think so, we don't really have ants that bite around here (I'm in Indiana) and she hasn't been out much today or yesterday. Thanks for the input tho.

When Mila was a puppy, she had a terrible bladder infection, and spend weeks on medicine. I had to administer ointment into her little, well, you know. anyway, one day, i rolled her over, and there were two pussy bumps on her belly. I rushed her to the vet, thinking she had some other major medical calamity, but the vet laughed, popped the pimples, and told me not to worry, they happen. LOL luckily, he didnt charge me in addition to embarrassing me. LOL. So, yes, some dogs can get acne.

Kadie

Yes they can!! My dog has acne. I work at a vet hospital, so I am lucky in the way that I dont need to pay anyone for advise!!

I actually JUST asked my vet monday about it. She said to use Oxy-somethingorother, just people acne cream, and if it doesnt clear up, anti-biotics could be used. 2 of my 4 dobermans have had it on their chins.

If its only 1, once, I probably wouldnt do anything about it, but if they kept showing up, possibly some acne cream would be in order.

Maggie only had one such bump and she eats from a stainless steel dish; so far the bump has gone down and seems to be on it's way toward disappearing since I accidently 'popped' it (eww). I'm still keeping an eye on it too.

Erin

It's calles folliculitis and it's is very similar to human acne. My dobies all had it bad- it was hormone related, I managed it with acne wash and keeping the dogs super clean. It completely went away at around age 3. Stainless steel or ceramic dishes very seldom cause allergic reactions and allergic reactions look more like very teary eyes or a cracked and dry nose.

Annette

Well, guess I'm lucky... Missy( maltese) is the only one to get those bumps... Hydrocortzone(sp) was the cure... She always gets her belly full of bumps... course if you insisted on laying on ant beds you would too. Silly girl looks for them and will lay on top... Happens very spring and summer... only real cure is get rid of the ants but even then if you go to someone elses home she just adopts their ants...~~~lol see bc's are not the only querky dogs.... lol I'm curious Indiana doesn't have ants? I thought those things were everywhere.

Though nothing like the bite of a fire ant, the northeast has red ants that love to bite...nasty little buggers....and their ant 'hills' are just holes in the ground that some poor unsuspecting human (ie me) can innocently be standing on...while the little devils crawl up your legs and bite away....

:rolleyes: