BC Boards

Gonzo is throwing up. .

punkrockbc

I walked Gonzo to the park earlier, its kindof late but its only about 70 degrees outside and cloudy. After playing frisbee for only 10-15 minutes, he started to make a hacking noise. He didn't act tired at all, 15 minutes is nothing for him, he acted sort of like he had swallowed something too fast. He threw up a really small amount of muoucosy water, it didnt look like bile. I gave him some water and let him rest, then he threw up a few treats that he had gotten before he started playing. He did not inhale the water, it was in his frisbee so it was only a small amount. Then he threw up some more mucousy water twice on the walk home :rolleyes:

I called his vet, but the tech said she's out for the day and to just fast him and keep him inside with plenty of water. He's still drinking, and he's just hanging out without any more throwing up. He hasn't eaten since this morning. . I have no idea what this is, do you think it could be related to the heat? Should I not give him water during exercise, just breaks, or more water? ughh... I have no idea. He has done this a few times before, I didnt think too much about it before :confused:

Hi, Erica,

My guy Buzz throws up very easily, he can even get himself too wound up, choke just a tiny bit and up everything comes!

If Gonzo is acting normal otherwise, I'd let him lick ice cubes rather than swallow water, feed him a bland dinner, maybe even cut his dinner ration in 2 or 3 portions and feed those an hour apart, and carry on.

If he starts to act lethargic, no appetite, diarrhea, or vomits again, then you'll need a vet visit.

Hope it's nothing, just a sensitive gag reflex. Another fun thing about Buzz is that when he really is sick, he throws up with no warning. Very entertaining, especially at 3 in the morning on the bed next to me.

Ruth n the BC3

That reminds me of when Tex was sick. It was a dry, hacking cough, followed by retching up foamy water. It sounded like he had something caught in his throat. In our case, it turned out to be a food allergy. My vet was treating him for bronchitis but I'm sure now it is corn and wheat that make him cough. My kids forget and gave Tex some leftover pasta the other day. By the next morning, he was coughing and retching again. Did you feed Gonzo anything out of the usual?

thanks a lot for the advice

Ruth, I will definitely try giving him ice cubes to lick and I'll give him some chicken and rice tonight. It does seem like it starts out as coughing, then after a few times he throws up a tiny bit. . I really hope he's ok.

Bounce, he hasn't been eating anything unusual. He usually loses his appetite when the weather starts getting warmer, and I do remember him throwing up a little bit at the beginning of last summer! He's eating Solid Gold Holistique, which doesn't have any corn or wheat and just fish as the meat protein he does have a sensitive tummy anyway. . I'll definitely ask my vet about that tomorrow, though! I think I'll just call her and talk to her, unless he gets worse tonight. He hasn't vomited at all since he was exercising. . he has coughed a few times though. . :rolleyes:

My BC Mila will throw up in the heat if I am walking her. Something about the collar and her ppulling and the heat, and here it comes. She wont even hurk like she usually does, just stops and blech, there it is. Foam and whatever food she has eaten. I feed her at night in the summer, and carry water to cool her down whenever we are out. It gets very hot where I last lived, so we spent a lot of time at the river. She always stops after she cools down, and her apetite is never affected. She has always done this since she was about 8 weeks. How old is Gonzo? have you tried wetting him down to cool him? Sometimes they can be just as sensitive as people

Hope he feels better!

Kadie

I think you're right, we're pretty sure he is sensitive to the heat. It was raining today (wierd weather :rolleyes: ) so he fetched the ball up and down the stairs for an hour, and no throw-up or hacking at all. . his vet said to only exercise him in the morning and evening when its hot -.-

thanks for all of the good advice!