BC Boards

Puppy shot reactions

HorseCrazy

I didn't see a topic for this so I decided to post my question. I gave my ACD her second puppy shot last night. This morning she wasn't eating or drinking. Her poop is normal and she pees on schedule. NOW she is throwing up after she drinks her water. She sleeps most of the time. Is this typical of puppy shots? The breeder gave her the first one at 6 weeks. If she continues to throw up I'm taking her into the vet to be safe. Just in case. I'm probably over-reacting, but I haven't had a puppy since 1981. I've always rescued older dogs before. Thanks for any info you can give me.

I don't think what you describe is normal at all. Although I would think a "severe" reaction (enough to be life threatening) would have happened immediately. I would check with your vet. Also, I think 6 weeks is really young for a first vaccine... way early considering the maternal antibodies should still be good at that point. I only do parvo/distemper. The protocol I follow is 8 or 9 weeks, 12 or 13 weeks, 16+ weeks...

hi there!

vaccine reactions can happen at any time, some do take a while to show. that said i couldnt say if this is a reaction or not. you might be interested to know that there is a yahoo group called 'the truth about vaccines'. it can get a little intense on there, but they do post some really good links for sites, so you can make up your own mind. i have heard that most vets discount the true volume of reactions that happen, but i have no personal experience with this, as i personally choose not to vaccinate my animals.

hope this helps a little.

cheers

donna

Hi Donna,

I had seen that list (or one similar to it) but have not looked into it yet. Right off the bat it sounds kooky to me, but then again, I felt the same way about raw.

There are people here who's opinions I really value and I'd love to get some input about this from them. I don't recall seeing a thread about it on here, at least not from this year.

As of right now she is keeping her water down and is livening up a little. Still no runs and quit throwing up. Still not eating. Wants to play a little but gives up fast. I have an appt today in 1 1/2 hours. I just don't want to take any chances. I thought 6 weeks was kind of young too. The breeder told me to give her a shot a month until she was 18 weeks old then 6 months after that series is done then after that once a year. Thats alot of shots! She takes them well. I'll check out that website. I vaccinate all my animals. I feel safer doing that. Thanks for all your replies, it really helped.

hi miztiki!

this sure could be a hottly debated topic! i havent been here long enough to really get to know people or their views on subjects like this!

i must admit i was/am expecting to get flamed for saying i dont vax. my experience of dog and cat vaccines is limited to a single shot. one vax=one dead cat :D

i wont be vaccinating my dogs or cats ever.

that said, i do work extremely hard to keep their immune systems in tip top shape with other means, diet, healthy exercise etc, and have treated dogs with parvo and distemper at a local shelter with herbs etc. tikki even had a run in with parvo when he was younger, he was quite poorly for about 3 days, i fasted him and used herbs, he recovered just fine. even after that i still wont vaccinate.

i just pray to the gods that vaccine are never required by law here in the uk...... i feel sorry for you guys who just dont get the choice :rolleyes:

the tav list seems to me to blame almost every thing on vax's which i dont completely agree with, and they say that homeopathy is the only 'true' form of medicine. now i agree that it is indeed a miracle worker, i have seen it cure sooooo many animals and people, but i can say the same for herbs and flower essences! but like i said if you want links or someone to find out hard facts, then it is definately the place to go! i tend to keep my head down on that list though!

An update on my puppy. Parvo was ruled out. THANK GOD!!!! It was determined that she had a reaction to the vaccination. They gave her fluids under the skin because she was dehydrated, gave her an allergy shot, and an anti nausea shot. Within about 10 min of the fluids and the allergy shot, she started to liven up even more. By the time we got to the car she was wanting to drive. hahahaha I am soooooooo relieved. It cost me a pretty penny but it was all worth it. I love her so much and want nothing but the best for her. My BC was worried sick, you could tell. The second we put the puppy outside the car Sophie was on her. Licking her, bouncing all over. She is a natural born momma. I know that sounds weird, but I do believe animals miss each other and worry when they are down. Right now she's sleeping after a hard night of playing. I couldn't control her. At least she's acting normal now. lol Thanks again for all your replies. I like this board.

Glad to hear the puppy is doing well! I understand the worrying believe me. After much debate we did end up getting the lepto shot for Tiga on Monday. He slept a lot on Monday but he always does when he's gotten shots. He'll still eat and drink. He's been doing really well but the allergy meds that he is on are making him eat a lot. Yesterday and today he's sneezing a lot and has some gook in one of his eyes. But there is a infection going around my home as well. If it keeps up today I'll likely call the vet again tomorrow. Could it be a reaction to the allergy meds? I know it's not entirely on topic and it sounds weird I know, but I also worry a lot. And with him it seems to have been one thing after another. I just want him to be well, poor little guy.

Hi,

Just wanted to say I'm glad your pup is ok- it did sound like a reaction. I manage a vet hospital and we see reactions very seldom- the only time we had a big problem with it is when we used Fort Dodge vaccines. We returned the whole lot with a list of 10-15 dogs in two weeks that had mild to severe allergic reaction. Since switching vax, we maybe have 2-3 reactions a month out of hundreds. One thing we do recommend if you are going to give your own vaccines- please give them in the morning. If your dog has a significant reaction- you will be able to get into your vet for an antihistimine inj.

As far as not giving vaccines- thats fine. Just wanted to say- I live in a fairly dry, non-disease spreading area and we still see distemper and parvo on a regular basis. What those animals have in common is no vaccines. Personally, I wouldn't risk those deadly diseases with my pets. I do think the time of the yearly vaccines has started to go- many hospitals (not us yet, but it will probably in the future) are going to three year protocol.

I also wanted to say that deadly reactions are even rarer- in now almost 10 years of working for vets, I've never seen one. Have seen a very few that may have died without treatment. Seen far more dead parvo and distemper animals, or pups (mostly petstore) that had upper respiratories (kennel cough) develop into pneumonia. I have two 10 year dogs that have been vaccinated probably on an average on once every other year- both are extremely healthy and dont have cancer :rolleyes: .

Thank you for all your kind words. The second dose I bought is going in the trash. I won't give her that brand again. It is called Solo-Jec-7 by Boehringer Ingelheim. Bought it at the local feed store. My BC didn't have a reaction at all, well except for when the needle went in. lol I will definitely heed your advice on giving shots in the morning. Don't know why I didn't think of that. :confused:

Hi:

Both my kelpies had reactions to their shots- both the second doses for them. The oldest Kelpie had swelling all around her face. Rushed her back in and she got iv dex and benadryl. That was NOT fun. When I got her neice, which I got at a younger age (9 weeks), and she got her second shot, I was on the way home, and she got VERY sleepy- this was NOT like her. We ended up having to go to a closer veterinarian, and get treatment- her face was mis-shapen- she got the same treatment as my older Kelpie. Both these girls are related, and that may be why, but I was concerned that that it could have been the adjuvant in said vaccines. In any case, when the girls DO get vaccines (and NOT yearly I might add), we stay at the vet's office for 1/2 hour to look for signs of trouble.

Julie

Oh wow! I'm so glad your guys are ok. My girl didn't swell up or anything, she just got so lethargic and didn't drink or anything. I was told that sometimes the first dose won't cause a reaction but the second dose just might. God, I can only imagine what the third dose will do. Ok, you just helped me decide to have the vet do it. I'll wait for at least a 1/2 hour before I leave there too, just to be on the safe side.