BC Boards

Border Collie Coat

Myra

Last spring we had our border collie's hair cut. They cut it down to his under coat. He looked a little strange but he sure was cooler. However, there are a couple of patches on him that never re-grew the hair this winter. Is there something that we should or should not be doing for him or with his coat?

Bud is black and white. When we had his hair cut short he actually was kind of funny looking because his head was still black and white but his body was completely grey. Now he has the long hair everywhere but on one of his shoulders and that is still the short grey hair.

For what its worth, there is a condition called post-clipping alopecia.

regrowth is delayed for up to 6 to 12 months. Two

theories are proposed as to why this occurs in sled dogs:

The hair no longer insulates the skin and the blood vessels constrict causing

loss of blood flow to the hair follicles. This may be an adaptive mechanism

to reduce the loss of heat from the exposed skin area in harshly cold climates.

Loss of the hair may cause a drop in temperature in the area that adversely

affects the blood supply to the area.

Hair that eventually grows back in may be darker in color.

References:

Tilley, LP, Smith, FWK, The 5 Minute Veterinary Consult, Canine and Feline.

1997, Williams & Wilkins.

Mordecai Siegal (Ed.) The UC Davis Book of Dogs. 1995, HarperCollins

Publishers.

regards karin

I have talked to several groomers who will not clip Border Collies,(lassie type) Collies, or several other long haired dogs, for that very reason. They say their hair never grows in right after clipping. My sister had her rough coated collie clipped and the hair on her hind quarters never has come back right, a big not quite bald spot and it has been 2 years.Could just be the opinion of those groomers, but after seeing Missy's coat, I'll take it.

Has anyone ever tried those cooling pads that are sold now? Just curious.

The best strippers are the Mars Coat King and their derivatives. I have the Oster version; Petedge has a version out now that is much cheaper (but I don't know if it's any good). These are rakes that have curved blades that are blunted on the ends. I have yet to figure out how these things work (engineering is not my strong suit) but they somehow manage to remove undercoat without cutting guard hairs unless you get a little too strip-happy. My Oster stripper (I have a 10-blade) does a fabulous job on Solo's Lassie-ass. I use it to keep his breeches tidy, especially, er, under his tail. Fluffbutt dogs are at a distinct disadvantage in the tidiness department when they have digestive upsets so it is important to me to keep the amount of hair back there to the minimum amount necessary for aesthetics.

I think I ordered mine from Care-a-Lot, but lots of places carry them. Petedge definitely does, and I think Jeffers does as well. If you do a Google on "Mars Coat King" you'll find places. The Mars version is the most expensive, the Oster is in the middle, and Petedge's versions are very cheap. I have never seen the latter and don't know if they're any good. I think there's also a white plastic version called "Mat King" but don't know who makes it or where to get it from.

Yup, I do a lot of anal-retentive price comparisons before buying things. I chose the Oster version because I liked the all-metal construction. Others swear by the Mars version.