BC Boards

loss of bladder control

Bounce

I'm seeking help for my little 12 yr old Yorkie. Her house breaking has never been great but I love her and we put up with her stubborness. She really hates going out in the cold.

She is not spayed (and never will be) this is not by choice. She developed mamary lumps 3 summers ago. In the last month, her breathing has become very bad and she seems to have no control whatsoever of her bladder.

KrisK was here and we were trying to have a conversation and we had to talk loudly over her wheezing. I fear my girl is going down the slippery slope.

Vet visit scheduled for next Tuesday but I was wondering if anyone had experience with hormones to help her bladder function or her asthma. Her brother is asthmatic as well.

Don't know anything about Yorkies...but my border collie girl was on DES (hormone) for awhile. Hers was definitely not a training issue, she just had uncontrollable incontinence. I tried phenylpropanolamine for awhile, but just wanted something less "toxic." It worked, then we changed to a raw diet, and it worked not at all! DES was much more effective. I didn't see any side effects for about two years, other than possible more interest from my neutered male in her!

Curiously, she had some major dental work done about 1.5 years ago - an abcessed canine, and several bad incisors (she was 3.5 yr old when I got her, with bad teeth then). Over the past year, her incontinence has gone away! Never thought it possible. I had weaned the DES down from one every 3 days to once a month, which is where we are now - and probably its not necessary, but I'll wait till mid-summer when things dry faster to stop it. I think she just had a low-grade infection caused by the teeth, circulating all the time, and just never got over it, affecting her bladder and control.

On the other hand, wheezing could be anything. Ask your vet about laryngeal paralysis - its a nerve thing, and could be related to loss of nerves controlling the bladder too (even though the body parts are at opposite ends!). Dunno if Yorkies get that much, but my mixed breed has it now, along with rear-end weakness.

Best of luck.

diane

UTI! UTI! I'm so happy its a UTI!

She's a living lesson on why to spay your female pups. Her lumps break open and oooze, its pretty gross. She can't have surgery to get them removed ( otherwise she would have been spayed) and they are a pain to live with even when they're benign.

Her wheezing is chronic. Its probably a combo of cats and dust. She isn't chewing her paws but she's made ribbons of them in the past. She needs to drop a pound. Spencer is usually about 6 lbs. I'll have to chug her up and down the driveway and hide the cats food.

Thanks for your support.