BC Boards

Gracie has a boo boo

gracie's_dad

this morning while removing a black berry thorn from he back right foot I noticed a split in the large bad. we rinsed it out with hydrogen peroxide, but on some a.b. ointment. all of that was easy enough, but now I have a 1 year old coiled spring that I can't take on her walks. normally she gets two a day. she is going to be hard to live with if she can't go for her walk. I have never had to deal with this before with any of my other dogs. how long do these take to heal? any thing else i should do? any ideas on indoor activities that we can use to distract her. she will really be upset when I take Echo for her walk.

You can try putting a bootie on her...they have all different types of them and you can get them at most pet stores...usually if you put them on and start the walk *right* away, the dog doesn't freak out too much...they will do some 'high-stepping' for a while, then settle into the walk.

Anyway, that is what they suggest for when you are hiking and your dog splits a pad...it still lets them walk and do 'normal' activities without compromising the healing process. I wouldn't recommend vigorous games of fetch though!

Well don't use Hydrogen Peroxide on it, it extends the healing process by killing off tissue on the outside of the wound.

My dogs split paw pads on barnacles a lot, so I keep vet wrap on hand for this. I will bandage, vet wrap, put an old sock over the foot and then vet wrap that too. It usually comes off over the course of an outing, but it takes like 50 minutes instead of 30 seconds.

I leave it wrapped for outdoors and open for indoors so it heals more quickly.

RDM

it has been a very miserable couple of days at our house. while trying to limit Gracie's activity she has managed to make us all wish we could just let her do what she wants. she is use to two walks a day, and this week end she got one a day and that was on leash.

her pad looks better, but there is still a split, it is not red, warm, or swollen. the flesh matched the flesh tone of the pad. she does not favor it any more, but she has not got to run either.

should the split be entirely gone, or do we need a couple more days of limited activity.

open to any and all input.

thanks

Gracie's dad.

In addition to a layer of gauze and vet wrap, a single or double layer of duct tape over the vet wrap gives it a more durable exterior. I do this for horses with open hoof abcesses, and it generally lasts the whole day & night. For a dog paw, a decent pattern should be one strip under the pad and above the toes.. parallel to the toes, and one or two strips perpendicular to the toes wrapped all the way around the foot Keep it loose enough for the paw to expand under weight. Tape on tape sicks best, so try to keep a bit of overlap from one strip to the next.