BC Boards

How to Toughening Pads ?

Julia Hunt

My 14 month old puppy constantly wears her pads off. I don't think they're particularly soft, it's just that she abuses them so badly. Her prefered method of stopping is a sort of 'hockey stop' where she plants her front feet, her rear end keeps going and passes her front, so she executes a 180 degree turn and comes to a stop :rolleyes: I'm not happy about this, but don't see how I can change it. Anyway, she constantly removes the outside of the main pad on her right forefoot. What can I do to toughen her feet?

Thanks, Julia

I have this same problem with Bailey. He skids to a stop and wipes out and flys around so fast he is constantly tearing his pads up. I have been told NOT to put any kind of ointment or cremes on that would soften the pads, because this would make it worse. Just let them heal on their own and hopefully they will eventually toughen up. Bailey is almost 3, and he still tears up his pads, but not as often and not as bad as he used to.

You can make a super strong black tea (I use six tea bags for what would equal a large tea pot) and soak the feet in it every two days for five to ten minutes each. I do this for about two weeks every spring to toughen my girls feet to prevent blisters. After two weeks she seems to do okay on her own as long as the weather isn't continually wet.

It's not hard to do or expensive, it works very well for my dog and her white has never stained if you're concerned about that.

no idea most people I know wos dogs have soft pads they are always wrapping the dogs feet and soaking then and moisterizing them. as far as im concerned their pads are tough all my BCs have torn their pads as pups just make em rest a little and no moisterizers and special baths or wrapped feet, and their pads never tear again. Happy and Misty can now run and skid and what not on any surface with no damage to there pads.

I have never had this problem with any of my dogs, but I have known a few people who's dogs are always tearing up their pads. Have you noticed if it's a particular surface that seems to do it? I know they make pad tougheners that you "paint" on the dog's pads, but I have never used them and cannot vouch for their safety or efficacy.