BC Boards

routine dog health care

CaelinTess

I brush Tess often. She gets baths once a week (this is in lieu of the topical flea products she is hugely allergic to and works very well for us--no fleas present, even in summer). I brush her teeth every morning. I trim her toenails every week. She gets her rabies shot when required. She had her annual booster for the puppy shots but I don't think I will be getting her any more shots except the rabies unless we take a class that requires it.

I hear people mention heart worm medications now and then, but my vet did not recommend this or even mention it. They did mention kennel cough vaccinations, but since Tess does not go to daycare or classes, they did not feel it was really necessary. Also, Tess had a kennel cough shot when she was little and got kennel cough anyway. They did recommend once-a-month flea stuff, but since Tess is allergic (huge weeping sores, depression, irritability), that is not something I want to use, either.

Are there any other doggie health care needs I am missing? Tess is really my first dog. I had dogs as a kid, and we fostered a dog for 3 months once, but for all that, someone else (parents or for the foster dog, my husband) handled the major stuff. She gets plenty of exercise, her weight is good, she gets training, games & snuggle time every day...

All my puppy and dog books do not seem to mention anything else and my obedience classes covered all the things that I am doing... I assume I am not missing anything but just wanted to be sure.

Allie & Tess

It sounds like you've covered just about everything!

Please let me urge you to get Tess on heartworm prevention though. Please. It's not at all difficult for dogs to get heartworms and the treatments are extremely hard on dogs (like chemo is to humans) and they don't always make it.

Please, please, please, do some research on heartworms and the percentage of dogs who get them and the number who die every year from them. Please!

Just a note on heartworm. We live in NE Ontario, where heartworm has not been a problem, so it's possible that in Washington state, it's not prevalent as well. If I recall correctly (it's a particular mosquito that carries the infection). However, that being said, I do have all my dogs on heartworm medication since the dam* infection seems to be moving slowly north..I also travel to S. Ontario on occasion with one of my dogs, so I just see it as being a sensible precaution.

I hadn't taken location into consideration. I've lived in Michigan, Georgia, North Carolina, Arkansas and now Texas, and in all 5 states heartworms are a threat, but maybe that's not the case in Washington?

(Interesting tidbit: My vet here in the Houston area said that heartworms are so prevalent that 1 in 10 cats they did a (my memory is terrible! What's it called when you examine a dead being?) thingy on had heartworms, so I have both of my cats on heartworm prevention, as well as Boyden.)

That would be an autopsy (not sure of the spelling) I googled heartworm...they did talk alot about heartworm in cats...and that it's been documented in all 48 states and there are something like 78 species of mosquitos that can spread the disease from dog to dog. :rolleyes:

So far, the University of Guelph (one of our leading veterinarian centres) shows only one documented case of heartworm in my area but like I said, I'm erring on the side of caution.

Give Boyden a hug...sounds like he's doing really well!

http://www.pilchuckvet.com/animals/heartworm.pdf

This is from a vet in my area. Actually, this is the vet office that handled the area where my horse lived for a time. I think this is the vet where a friend's horse was on the way to for colic surgery (unfortunately, the horse did not make it).

It says the risk of heartworm in Western Washington (where I am) is low. I'll ask my own vet next time I take Tess in, but for now I am not going to worry about it. I am more worried about mosquitoes, so will try out the Bounce sheets once mosquitoes appear again.

Allie & Tess

Ok, that's it. I'm moving to Washington! :rolleyes:

I wonder why Washington has such a low incidence of HW? I mean, Michigan is pretty darned cold. Does anyone know what factors influence the prevalence of HW?

I learn so much from this board. Thank you to those that host it.

It is not as cold here as it is in Michigan, I am pretty sure. Where I am, if we get a day where it snows like 1 inch, we consider it a huge disaster for the commute. :D I understand some of Michigan can be literally buried in snow. :D We have mountains, sea water, etc. that warm us up. Eastern Washington is a whole other story.

If you move here, you must sign the agreement about not letting on that we have lots of sunshine and the rain stuff is just a ruse we tell the tourists. :rolleyes:

Allie & Tess