BC Boards

BC losing his hair!

roughpatch

My 7 mo. old male bc from his midsection down has lost a lot of his hair...he's stopped scratching. Vet recommended LimeSulphur baths which I've done. Helped a little. She thought it could be mange but my other dogs are fine...or ringworm. He's been on a diet free of corn, soy and wheat when this problem began. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Pasadena, CA.

Get thee to a veterinary dermatologist. At seven months old it's unlikely to be thyroid but the pattern sounds very like it.

Your vet should know for sure whether it's mange. It's simple to take a skin scraping and just look for the little buggers. They should be plenty in evidence with that much hair loss.

Good luck!

Originally posted by karrie:

got any fleas? sometimes a flea allergy will cause a lot of scratching and loss of hair.

Hi, your question on losing fur in your dog's modsection, my baby licked and nibbled at himself in the tummy area till he was all pink, the vet said he had an allergic reaction to fleas, de-flea'ed him and then gave him prednisone and antibiotics for his allergic infection. He was fine in a few days and the hair loss stoped-but I was finding globs of it all over the house!!!

you might want the vet to check his cortisone levels (a quick urine test can be done.) hair loss from the midsection down is a sign of canine cushing's. it's an older dog's disease normally, but i've heard of an occasional younger dog having the disorder.

is the dog drinking more water than usual? having accidents in the house? and does the skin where the hairloss occurs look darker pigmented?

those are some signs.