BC Boards

throid in Bc's

Lenore

Originally posted by Lenore:

My max was just diagnoised with throid troubles. Started him on some assuming hormone pills. As well as an antiboitc for possible infection. Lenore

Hi Lenore, I have a BC that was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in 2003. How was your dog diagnosed? Were blood samples sent off to a lab to run a complete thyroid panel? Does the dog have hyperthyroidism (increased thyroid function) or hypothryroidism (low thyroid function)? What pills was the dog given (soloxine)? And why did the vet put the dog on antibiotics for a possible infection? What type of infection does he suspect?

Here are some good links for information. http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels...techThyroid.htm

http://www.workingdogs.com/doc0112.htm

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/thyroid.html#Diag

Hello

Let me try and answer your questions He had blood work done on tues. and i am assuming it was sent out to the lab. The vet was looking for diabetes and cushings and 2 other things. His urine count was real real low. and had blood in the urine. He is believing he has an infection from all the water drinking and peeing he has done. so he put him on amoxiclin and also on soloxine. Vet wants to see him next week .We also with held water for 12 hours and had the urine re tested. it came back better.

thanks for the link

Lenore

I am not a vet, but I do not think that increased water consumption, excessive urinating and blood in urine are signs of a thyroid problem. What other symptoms did your dog have that prompted the vet to test the thyroid levels? Visit the "workingdogs" link I sent you. It goes into great detail about cinical signs of hypothyroidism.

other symtpoms are... grumpy not eating like normal. not playing like normal.lack of energy.blood in urine. He just wasnt acting his normal self. He is very routine.. on when to play what to play when to be walked when to eat and when not to eat.. he was not hisself. He was not as alert has he should be. ... i am working on those links you sent as i write this. I have every faith in our vet. we have been with him for over 16 years. He also has a young new vet with him now and they confur with each other on everything with new and old things etc...

other symtpoms are... grumpy not eating like normal. not playing like normal.lack of energy.blood in urine. He just wasnt acting his normal self. He is very routine.. on when to play what to play when to be walked when to eat and when not to eat.. he was not hisself. He was not as alert has he should be. ...

With the exception of the blood in the urine all the others symptoms are signs of thyroid problems. My dog has been on .4mg soloxine twice a day since his diagnoses and is doing just fine. After the initial tesing dose, his levels are re-checked yearly to make sure the dose he is getting is neither too high or too low.

Those links should be very helpful. If you need more, let me know.

also forgot he has had 2 seziures in the last few months one was about 3 weeks ago.

Oh, he has had seizures as well. I am sorry to hear that as it is very distressing to watch a dog seize. There is a connection between seizures and low thyroid. There is another handler/trainer on these boards that has a lot of experince dealing with a dog with seizures and thyroid dysfuntion. I am sure she will read this and reply. My dog never has had seizures.

Here is a link for info on seizures and canine epilepsy:

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/site_map.htm

It sounds like your vet is pretty much on top of this. Check out that link Christine gave for the canine epilepsy network and look up the work of Dr Jeanne Dodds. She's done a lot of study on the links between hypothyroidism and seizures, and makes suggestions for dealing with it.

If the dog just happens to have a urinary tract infection at the same time (what the antibiotics might be treating?) this other stuff is going on, then he may not be able to hold on to get outside to pee, if he just feels like he has to go RIGHT NOW and can't wait.

Tess had to go out to pee every 5-10 minutes until I got her to the vet and they diagnosed a UTI. But after she was on the antibiotics for about a day (after about the 3rd pill), she was doing MUCH better.

So if your dog is not improving as quickly as your vet thinks he should (call the vet and ask how soon you should notice improvement, they will be happy to tell you) and ask for advice.

Allie & Tess