BC Boards

scratched eye

Rave

Should I be concerned? Wick has a small scratch to the white part of the eyeball (most likely caused by a branch), I can't really tell if it extends to the colored part, but I dont' think so. also a small tear to her lower eyelid. There was a little uncolored discharge and she seems mildly annoyed by it (but this is a very stoic dog).

Thanks,

Laura

I'd consider getting some antibiotic eye drops/ointment - no steroids of course. It can get irritated really quickly. Spottie had a little eye infection and over one night in her crate pawed at it a lot. Next morning she looked like her eye was going to pop out and it was difficult to treat it because it was so much more irritated.

Scratched corneas are worth a trip to the vet. They are excruciatingly painful, (several personal experiences) get infected easily and esp in older dogs can lead to coroneal ulcers.

The good news is, they are relatively easy to treat.

Good luck, I hope Wick gets better soon.

Ruth n the Border Trio

excuse my ignorance, but which part is the cornea? Thanks!

It happened Sunday sometime...I noticed the eyelid tear then, but the scratch was hard to see and Wick did NOT want me messing with her eye, so I didn't see it until late last night. She seemed bothered Sunday night, but not as much yesterday. I think I have some of that non-steroid eye ointment at home I'll try.

Thanks!

Laura

My understanding is that the cornea is what you can see of the eye. The scratches I got, (one from a cocktail straw, two were from dogs pawing my face, one was a paper cut, and one was an abrasive powder that got blown into my eye) were all over my eye, and each time, the dr. called it a coroneal abrasion.

Sammi just got one, when Shonie attacked her in October. Took quite a while to heal, like 3 weeks or so. That was when the vet told me about the potential for older dogs to develop the ulcers.

One of the signs of sensitivity is blinking or squinting, keep an eye on her to see how she responds to strong light.

Good luck to you both!

Ruth n the Border Trio

Originally posted by rtphokie:

Should I be concerned? Wick has a small scratch to the white part of the eyeball (most likely caused by a branch), I can't really tell if it extends to the colored part, but I dont' think so.

The cornea is actually thin, transparent layers of cells that covers the front of the eye. The "colored part" that you mention is called the iris and it is actually underneath the clear cornea.

GET TO THE VET!!!! Eye injuries are nothing to mess around with trying to treat yourself. They are extremely painful and can ulcerate easily.

I have a client now whose dog is actually wearing a very large contact lens in one eye, designed to keep medicine in contact with the eye after a scratch. They had to use that after 6 weeks of treatment that did not resolve the injury. Want to guess how much $$$$$ THAT cost?

A trip to the vet is good advice. I had a cat charge as I opened a can of food and her eye was scratched by the lid. I couldn't even see it at first but in a few days her eye was very bad. The vet said the movement of the eyelids cause it to tear further. He put her to sleep, stitched the flap down and then stitiched the eyelids shut for a couple of weeks. Afterwards she needed the eyedrops too. And she was not a happy camper throughout the whole episode. She gained a reputation at the vet for being quite nasty! Fortunately the eye healed completely.

Just to repeat what everyone else has said: GO TO THE VET! Also be sure there isn't perhaps a small splinter still in the eye. One of my guys (Starr) got a thistle thorn lodged into her eye. It was very small, you had to really look to know it was still there and not just a scratch. I'm very lucky to have a canine eye vet within a reasonable distance. The vet told me when he extracted it, that had it been just the slightest bit longer, there could have been real damage done. The thorn had scratched the surface of her iris. Long story short, she's just fine now (I still cringe to work in a field with tall thistle in it!), but it wasn't something to ignore.

Good Luck! Renee