BC Boards

Age of BC's

Lenore

Hello All

I have 2 Bc's one is 7 years old the other is one year old.

I have always had smaller dogs.. shih-tzus to be exact. and they live a very long life. My last one is 17 years old,blind. deaf. How long do healthy border collies live? Always heard that bigger dogs have a shorter life span? I figured with all the love and spoiling and good life they have at my house.( they have me well trained) ha ha. They should live a long healthy time.

Also does anyone have info on possible sezuires in BC's Think my 7 year old might of had one the other day.

thanks much

Hi,

The average life span of Border Collies is about 15-20 years. It's only the really big breeds like Great Danes and Irish wolfhounds, etc. that have much shorter life spans than smaller breeds. Those breeds are generally considered "senior" at around five years of age. Border Collies are considered a medium size breed, but they do mature physically a little slower than other dog breeds do and aren't fully mature until around two years of age. Generally, the smaller the breed is the longer they live and vice versa.

I've just lost at one of my own two days before his 15th birthday. He has a littermate alive and well, another that I know of, died at 13 yrs., same age as their sire died. The dam is alive at 17 1/2 yrs. of age. With genetics and environment, I would say 13 to 16 is pretty much average, although there are those that have lived well beyond 16.

As far as epilepsy goes---if your dog is 7 yrs. old and had what might be his first seizure, a visit to the vet is in order. Onset of seizures at 7 yrs. of age, usually isn't inherited epilepsy---there may very well be another physical cause for the seizures.

Notate the date, the time and whatever else you remember about the seizure itself and the time surrounding the seizure----and make an appointment with your vet.

Good luck.

Vicki