BC Boards

Question about Adequan

PartnersPal

Hello Everyone,

My girl Annie, 9 month old BC has been diagnosed with OCD and is in the middle of a 4 week course of Adequan injections. I was told by my Vet that the Adequan should help releave pain and help repair the cartiledge in the joint.

I have observed Annie closely over the past 2 weeks as she has gotten the injections and I have noticed that her limp (left front leg) has gotten more pronounced and she appears to be in more pain when she shows a limp. She does not always limp, it comes and goes, but it seems to always show up within 24 hours of her getting the Adequan injection. I have mentioned this to my Vet and they have told me that the Adequan should not be causing this and that Annie may get worse before she gets better with the Adequan injections. Annie's symptoms do not seem to be reflecting what the Vet is saying or what I have read in the literature. Annie will get a shot, within 24 hours she will begin to limp badly and it will clear up over the next 48 hours until she gets the next shot when the cycle will start over. Has anyone seen this same cycle with other dogs getting this medicine? Any ideas on what is going on here? The Vet now wants to start Annie on anti-inflamatories. Any advice would be appreciated.

Nestor.

So sorry to hear about Annie's diagnosis. My Molly is 10 months old and was diagnosed with CHD about a month ago. She also went through the 4 weekly Adequan injections. I didn't notice any change in her (she is mostly asymptomatic - no pain or limp, but her hips pop when she walks). Now that she's finished the injections, she's on Cosequin. Hopefully we'll be able to hold off on anti-inflammatories & surgery for a long while.

Good luck to you both - keep up posted.

Gwen