BC Boards

Cosequin vs human OTC

Gwen

As you may recall, we're treating Molly proactively for rather severe CHD. She doesn't have any signs/symptoms yet. The vet wanted to start treating her with Cosequin ASAP in hope that her joints will tighten up in the next few months to put off surgery a while longer (she's 9 mos now). The vet was really pushing Cosequin over other supplements. I know there are lots of human grade OTC supplements that are a fraction of the cost. The vet says (and the literature I've read) that Cosequin is more thoroghly tested and purity guaranteed. I know that human supplements don't go through the same FDA process as medications. They can't all be bunk though, right?

Point being - is it prefered to go with the Cosequin or would an OTC work just as well? Any particular details I should know about. Anyone have any recommendations based on what has worked well with your dog?

TIA

Gwen

I used a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement from Puritan's Pride for my dogs, neither of whom have diagnosed joint issues so I can't say it it works for severe problems (Solo's gotten it ever since he bunged up a knee playing ball, and Fly gets it just 'cause since she's a hard-driving kinda gal). It has the same levels as Cosequin and I give it at the same dose. Consumer Reports tested Puritan's Pride products and found them to contain exactly what they're supposed to, and the prices can't be beat. I've ordered many other vitamins from them as well and been satisfied with the quality.

Another great source of info on this product, and many more (including mostly human vitamins, supplements, etc.) is www.consumerlab.com.

It is an independent testing lab, which looks at contents (does the product contain what it says it does?) and bioavailability.

Cosequin was the best pet product tested! And I was dismayed to find that the two gluco/chon products that I'd used for myself were not on the list. No more! What a waste of money, for me and the dogs!

diane