will allow the eliminate of a major genetic problem from the breed by DNA

testing and selective breeding.

With a simple DNA test it will even be possible for breeders to use a

carrier in a mating and then identify which of the pups are free of the

defect and can be used in further breeding, and which are carriers and would

better kept as pets.

The disease in dogs is a good model for the human form of the disease, which

is known as Batten disease. It could be useful in understanding the cause

of the disease and in the development of treatment.

The research has been supported by grants from Australian Research Council

SPIRT program with the Border Collie Club of NSW as partners, Canine

Research Foundation, Batten Disease Support and Research Association,

bequest from Alice McDonald (Cairns) as well as contributions from Border

Collie Clubs both in funding and access to samples.

Research in the lab continues into causes of other genetic disorders such as

Trapped Neutrophil Syndrome (TNS), in which neutrophils get stuck in the

bone marrow leaving pups immunodeficient and very susceptible to gastric

infections and slow development. The release of the dog genome sequence in

July makes the discovery of such defects much easier than it was.

All dog breeds have their own unique genetic defects as a result of the

breeding structure of extensive use of champion dogs followed by matings

between relatives. This inbreeding reveals any underlying genetic defects

which are occur naturally in us all. The Border Collie Clubs are to praised

for recognising that they had a problem in the breed, and for bringing it

out in the open where it could be dealt with, instead of pretending it did

not exist, which is the case in most breeds of domestic animal breeds.

Just a tad complacent to say it hasn't been found outside Australian show lines isn't it????

There has been a suspected case here in the UK, the dogs owners did not want an autopsy so it was not completely confirmed, the dog in question was from ISDS lines only.

CL can also be used as a model for Battens disease which affects children who rarely survive beyond 7 years of age.

Also CL is not just a "show" illness in BC's it has been identiefied in other breeds, Red Setters, Dachunds and Chihuahua to name a few, there are more,just can't think of them off the top of my head

Karin

What are the show lines based on........Original working lines, The small gene pool in Australia at the time is probably responsible for doubling up on the CL, but it had to originate from somewhere in the first place. There was a case of CL in Texas several years ago,the dog was from Unknown parentage,but assumed to be farm bred, I do not know any further details other than that.

Karin

Karin,

Your attempt at trying to lay the blame for CL within the working bred border collies is completely ridiculous, and, I might add, a typical tactic of the KC types who refuse to take responibility for their role in concentrating genetic problems through their breeding practices. Obviously the gene exists in the border collie, else it couldn't have been concentrated in Australian show lines. I repeat, the point Bill was making, correctly, is that the show line breeding in Australia is what concentrated the gene in the show line border collies. That doesn't mean that a very occasional incidence won't occur in the working population of dogs; it simply means that the disease is a *problem* in mainly Australian show lines.

Just like diseases that are a real problem in some closed human communities are not a real problem in the human population in general.

J.

The distribution of the disorder would seem to indicate that it arose from a rare mutation and became established in Australasian conformation lines through founder effect. It could have happened in any inbred population of dogs but in this case it happened to have happened in Barbie Collies.

Perhaps there are one or two working Border Collies out there suffering from CL, but that doesn't make it a "Border Collie problem," any more than an isolated case of Fanconi in Border Collies (I can dig up the ref if you're interested) makes Fanconi a "Border Collie problem." CL is a Barbie Collie problem.

That said, I too am glad the gene has been found. I don't feel like it has much to do with Border Collies, but it is a good thing.

I'm actually glad the gene has been found because of the situation here in Hawaii.

The bulk of our Border Collies have some tie to Australia due to the quarentine laws of Hawaii (now changed). However, there are many people on these islands that have BorderFame dogs that plan to breed. These dogs are sport dogs first, confirmation dogs second and hobby herding dogs a far third. (I think they put the dogs on stock just to pacify those of us out here that frown upon them.)

Also, all the dogs from our puppy-mill of a pet store are flown in from Australia. (with papers! how nice) And of course, these dogs are not sold on a spay/neuter contract - nor are the BorderFame dogs - so these people like to make some extra cash and now we've got lots of dogs from Australia lines being bred to Australian lines.

There are a few folks on the islands the bring dogs in from the UK for breeding. It's rare, but that's where I got my pup from. There is also someone here that does AI in her breeding from the mainland. Luckily, these folks do NOT bred their dogs to anyone on island, but that may change with the few borderfame fluffy barbie collies. Not sure.

I'm just glad it's been found as it will probably pop up here before it gets to the mainland.

Denise

Originally posted by juliepoudrier:

[QB] Karin,

Your attempt at trying to lay the blame for CL within the working bred border collies is completely ridiculous, and, I might add, a typical tactic of the KC types who refuse to take responibility for their role in concentrating genetic problems through their breeding practices. Obviously the gene exists in the border collie, else it couldn't have been concentrated in Australian show lines.

I am not at all interested in laying blame anywhere, just pointing out that a Australian lines where originally bred from working Border Collies, and if you read my post I did also say that the small gene pool was most likely the reason the gene reared its ugly head in the first place, nothing ridiculous in that I think.

Karin

I thought long and hard before answering this, it's hard to recall sad and bitter memories, but I will make this as short as possible so as not to bore you all.

In 1991 I lost my beloved Cassie to CL and let me assure you at the time, the BC Club of NSW was of no help to me at all and refused to name the TOP breeder of BC's of the time! As far as I am aware, Bill is correct, it is a disease that has mainly been found in Australian Show bred lines and some of these breeders are still breeding!!!

If you are truly interested Karin, I can give the breed line that a lot of theses cases have been found in. With the help of the NSW University of Vet Science, I did a lot of research at the time and still have some of the papers. The BC Club have the rest :rolleyes:

All I cam say is, Thank God something positive is being done. I hope no one else ever goes through the torment my family and Cassie did.

Darien