BC Boards

Deaf Border Collies...

RedDawnZoe

Hello Everyone,

I have a 10 week old blue merle female Border Collie who has been vet confirmed as deaf.

She needs a new home - where she will recieve the specialized training and one-on-one attention that she deserves.

Incredible temperament, fabulous disposition, beautiful and unique color.

If you are interested in providing her with an exceptional home, please email for an application. If your application is approved, interviews will be taken via phone. Please include at least one vet reference in your inital email.

Elizabeth

Have you contacted her breeder? A decent breeder will take a puppy back if it's not working out for you.

You might want to do some research into training deaf dogs before giving up your pup. I know many people who live with and train deaf dogs. There is very little a deaf dog can't do.

http://www.deafdogs.org

I find that my agility dog runs better when I shut up and concentrate on my body language, personally.

Well I looked up Red Dawn Border Collies, lots of words, I would contact them directly, as she claims to have no health problems in her dogs and all that. At least inform her so she can get the knowledge of the breeding yielding a deaf pup. I agree one can train a deaf dog quite extensively with hand signals. Please contact your breeder.

Caroline

I've contacted my breeder.

She has offered me several options since discovering that Zoe was deaf, and has agreed to take Zoe back and place her in Texas, or assist me in finding her a home.

My first and ONLY goal is to find Zoe a loving PET home. She has a heart of gold. I'd pefer to see her placed in a home which has previous experience with Border Collies, and/or deaf dogs.I've already started her on hand signals - she has picked up on them very well and within two days of training has already learned the sit signal.

Elizabeth

Originally posted by CaelinTess:

Have you contacted a local rescue to see if they know anyone might be interested? Also, you might have better luck in the general discussion forum instead of the health forum if you are looking for a home for the dog instead of looking for information about a health issue.

Allie & Tess

I don't need to consider rescue at this time. Zoe will stay with me if I cannot find her a home.

I'm interested in learning more about deaf dogs as well... so if you have any personal tips or information to help with Zoe please let me know.

Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth,

there is a search function on these boards (upper right of your screen). You can search on the word "deaf" and you'll find quite a few posts, including some threads all about living with and training a deaf border collie.

This is a good place to get help, whether for you (if Zoe stays with you) or to refer to for her new owners if you find a home for her.

Deanna in OR

Breeding merle to merle is a big cause of deafness in border collies. Most breeders wont breed merle to merle for this reason but there are a few who do it to get highly merle colored litters (growls) I wonder if this is what happened here? Do you know if her parents are both merle?

I helped train a deaf dalmation once and she did wonderfully.

Best of luck to you and her!

my brother had a deaf gsd.he lived to be 14 yrs old. he was my brothers shadow.he trained also with hand signals.he was a GREAT dog.do research before giving this dog up.being she is so young you have a huge advantage.it would be much easier to train her than if she was older.i know you will do whats right.i hope it works out for you

You know... you could get a pager or a cheap small cell phone with a vibrating function... that could be your recall. :rolleyes: Of course, it wouldn't be instant if she wasn't looking right at you to see your signal, but if she wandered around the house or something, then she'd know to come back... wouldn't work in an emergency, of course.

I may teach MY dog that and she's not even deaf. :D

I found some mailing lists/yahoo groups that are for people with deaf dogs. If you haven't seen them, you might want to join a few and see if they might be helpful.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/deafdogs/ (that one seems to get roughly 1,000 messages per day! Start there!)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Texas_Deaf_Dogs/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/deafdogowner/

Allie & Tess

Originally posted by minihorse:

Breeding merle to merle is a big cause of deafness in border collies. Most breeders wont breed merle to merle for this reason but there are a few who do it to get highly merle colored litters (growls) I wonder if this is what happened here? Do you know if her parents are both merle?

I helped train a deaf dalmation once and she did wonderfully.

Best of luck to you and her!

No, this was not a merle to merle breeding. Zoe's sire is a red merle, and her dam is a black and white.

Originally posted by CaelinTess:

You know... you could get a pager or a cheap small cell phone with a vibrating function... that could be your recall. :rolleyes: Of course, it wouldn't be instant if she wasn't looking right at you to see your signal, but if she wandered around the house or something, then she'd know to come back... wouldn't work in an emergency, of course.

I may teach MY dog that and she's not even deaf. :D

I found some mailing lists/yahoo groups that are for people with deaf dogs. If you haven't seen them, you might want to join a few and see if they might be helpful.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/deafdogs/ (that one seems to get roughly 1,000 messages per day! Start there!)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Texas_Deaf_Dogs/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/deafdogowner/

Allie & Tess

Thank you for the information. I've been working with Zoe daily, and she is already responding to sit with a hand signal, and is doing well with stay as well. She has that beautiful Border Collie enthusiasm and "spirit" for life, and has learned easily, and quickly.

I've decided to take Zoe to Iowa State University - to have BAER testing. Despite my vet's confirmation of her being deaf, I do believe that she does have SOME level of hearing in one ear.

Deafdogs.org - which has been FULL of useful information for us - has developed a vibrating collar for deaf dogs. It's primary drawback is that it weighs too much for Zoe right now.

Elizabeth & Zoe

• 2 weeks later...
Guest luvdabcs

So when will you know if she is totally deaf or not? Have you decided if you are going to be able to keep her or not? you are lucky you got her from a breeder who will work with you and not just say "oops" like some do. It is also good that the breeder said if it is deaf she will not be breeding those dogs again. Please keep us posted, I was thinking about getting a pup from your pups grandpa, but now I will wait and see.

Originally posted by luvdabcs:

So when will you know if she is totally deaf or not? Have you decided if you are going to be able to keep her or not? you are lucky you got her from a breeder who will work with you and not just say "oops" like some do. It is also good that the breeder said if it is deaf she will not be breeding those dogs again. Please keep us posted, I was thinking about getting a pup from your pups grandpa, but now I will wait and see.

No, Zoe is not completely deaf. She simply does not respond to normal range sounds. High frequency sounds - such as one of her squeaky toys - she does hear.

I'm confused...it sounds like she is doing good in your household and doing wonderfully at hand signals...why can't you keep her? or why don't you want to keep her? Just because she may have hearing loss, you may be providing a great home for her!

I just looked at her picture in the gallery...totally cute, you can still do that stuff with her even if she does have hearing problems.

Originally posted by Piper:

I'm confused...it sounds like she is doing good in your household and doing wonderfully at hand signals...why can't you keep her? or why don't you want to keep her? Just because she may have hearing loss, you may be providing a great home for her!

I just looked at her picture in the gallery...totally cute, you can still do that stuff with her even if she does have hearing problems.

Sometimes the choices in these type of situations are not up to me. My parents don't want a deaf dog. I have attempted to show them information pulled from google.com searches as well as deafdogs.org, to no avail.

I couldn't possibly keep another dog, but I'd fly Zoe over to Perth if I could. What a beautiful dog!!!!

>>Sometimes the choices in these type of situations are not up to me. My parents don't want a deaf dog. I have attempted to show them information pulled from google.com searches as well as deafdogs.org, to no avail.

Pitty you can't get rid of your parents when they have something wrong with them...

Hi Elizabeth - Just so you and your parents know, especially if you are planning on doing agility or obedience with Zoe...

I personally know 4 dogs (2 border collies and 2 jack russell terriers) who are uni-deaf dogs -they are BAER tested deaf in one ear. These dogs are highly successful in agility - competing successfully at the upper levels, ranking nationally and winning despite their handicap. Since the dogs have never been able to hear normally, they have always just compensated by being extra attentive and a spectator would never even susspect any problem. A couple of them were not even diagnosed until they were already at the upper levels. Write me personally, if you wish, and I will give you their handler's email addresses so you can discuss it will them personally.

This is Maleah, who is almost completely deaf:

2004948429917469023815.jpg

Maleah is now over two years old, and competes in agility with her handler. Maleah can hear certain frequencies and pitches, but mostly hears nothing.

This is Trip who is 100% bilaterally deaf:

2004946727610215128738.jpg

Trip was adopted by Kay Whitehead, after she lost her bilaterally deaf border collie Flare. Flare was one of the top 10 agility dogs in Canada for several years running, even though she was deaf.

Now Trip is in training to take Flare's place as The agility dog to watch for.

I am eternally grateful to both these dogs' owners that their "handicaps" did not deter their handlers from doing great things with them. To spend time with either of them you would not suspect they were deaf - they are incredibly attentive, intelligent biddable dogs who are just wonderful to work with.

RDM

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested, here's a link to the BAER test sites in the USA. As Elizabeth found out, even BAER normal parents can produce deaf pups, so maybe some of those "hardheaded" one sided dogs are actually "hard of hearing"...it might be worth checking out...

http://www.lsu.edu/deafness/baersite.htm