BC Boards

TICKS

Tom H

I am new to this page but have had my dog "REBA" for 4 years. This is the first year I have had problems with Ticks. Someone told me to use 10% seven dust on her. Has anyone heard this or done this before. I use front line for fleas and have no problems with them. But the ticks are driving her crazy,,,

Apparently the thing that works best is the Preventic collar. It shouldn't (edited to correct) get wet and shouldn't be used around cats. Years ago my parents used to use Sevin dust for fleas--I have no idea if it will work for fleas, or if after all these years if it works for anything.

By the way, Frontline is supposed to kill ticks within 48 hours after they have attached, but a number of folks have found it to be losing effectiveness. Are the ticks you're finding dead or alive?

J.

I use Frontline and Preventic collars on the dog at work. Frontline works until the ticks get bad and Stolie gets covered. The Preventic collar works very well against brown dog ticks and seed ticks. Stolie is a BC/AS mix with a heavy thick coat.

My uncle used to bath his dogs in vinegar to get the ticks off. It worked but made the dog smell like some kind of odd salad.

Hope this helps.

We use Frontline on Fergie.

We have seen a couple of ticks on her - in just over 8 years. But they are never attached - and are quite lethargic. Real easy to pick off and thumb-nail.

When Fergie, husband, and I hike, It's husband who gets all the ticks. Can I put Frontline - or a tick collar - on him? He also complains the most.

Tom,

You can get the Preventic collar at your vet or through mail order. A quick check of a couple of catalogs at hand shows that both Jeffers (http://www.jefferspet.com) and KV Vet Supply (http://www.kvvet.com) carry them, at somewhere between $8 and $10.

There was a typo in my previous post--the collars should NOT get wet. Wet from rain is probably okay, but wet from repeated dunkings in a stock tank or swimming in the farm pond is not good.

Nancy,

I know you're joking, but would you believe there was a recent discusion on the tick list about people using Frontline on themselves? (One person was applying to to a sweatband on her forehead.) Someone finally pointed out that it wasn't likely to work on people since we sweat and it's supposed to get in the oil glands of a dog and spread out from there (and dogs aren't sweating it off). I guess if folks are desperate enough they'll do anything!

J.

Julie, thanks for the info. Well, I was kidding. But I have wondered why it wouldn't work on people. Not me - I must taste really awful. It's rare for even mosquitos to bother me.

But, as you know, this whole area it tick central.

• 2 months later...

i use frontline on my bc, which seems to work great for 2 months then in the 3rd month not so good on the ticks..but if you use vasoline and completly cover the tick around the base where it is biting your bc, the tick cant breath and will let go..it works great for us.. yeuck they are horrable things though.

please don't laugh ( at the visual of woman swing panty hose).... Get the servin dust. Get an old pair of panty hose fill the leg with servin dust and dust the yard and your trees. Do wear a mask thou to keep you from inhaling the stuff. It will cut down on the number of ticks if not get rid of them.

PREVENTIC IS NOT THE SAME AS PREVENTIC-PLUS

Frontline and the Preventic collar are a good combination. When you buy Preventic collars, make sure you are not buying Preventic-Plus, which is also a flea collar. If you are ordering on the phone, have the person taking the order read to you what is on the label.

Also, remember to cut off the excess on the collar. You don't want to know how I found out that this is a necessary precaution.

Penny

Here in Oz, Frontline Plus is supposed to be applied every 4 weeks for fleas, but every 2 weeks for tick prevention - but maybe that's just our ticks. (And the dog shouldn't get wet for 48 hours after it's applied.)

Some people here use a collar called Killtix or something like that - but same deal - can't be used if dog goes in water.