BC Boards

Anal gland expression

Caroline

ok folks,

The young dog Luke expresses his anal glands in the car likely due to stress but not just when he is alone in the car. Sometimes during driving too. Well he is never alone, the older dog is in there too. Anyway, I have never heard of a dog expressing them as much as he does, sometimes several times a day. Not at home, just in the car. Perhaps carsick, does drool, no throwing up though. Not tried ginger yet. any ideas

please help,

Caroline

Merlot used to get terribly car sick. He would drool, and dribble, and go very quiet... He was also quite smelly. It was hell getting him to his first Obedience classes because he was an absolute mess when we got there. Our car didn't look too good either!

We ended up having to put him in the car (without the engine running) for increasing periods of time, giving him small treats and spoiling him rotten. Merlot would have to be cuddled during car trips, and we would aim his nose out of the window so that he could watch interesting sights, get fresh air, and not throw up on us!!

Try to make your car trips fun. Be patient... There is also medication for car sickness, although we did not have to resort to this.

Merlot loves the car now and actually jumps inside. Good luck Luke!

Bella used to ?blow her glands? all the time. It is not a pleasant experience. We worked on getting her used to things more. Like the car, short rides to McDonalds for some fries! We also enrolled Bella in daycare a few times a week. The initial reason was to give Remi a break. Since he doesn?t feel well he was becoming perturbed with her being in his face during the day. However it did wonders for her confidence level. Perhaps something about being there without Mommy or Remi to protect her. In fact this last time I took her to the vet not only did she not blow but she didn?t pitch nearly the fit.

Good luck, and purchase shampoo in bulk to deal with the aftermath!

P.S. our vet suggesting getting her stools harder to help eliminate the liquid when she pooped. I never tried it because I was too concerned about accidentally getting her plumbing backed up. But thought I would pass on what he said!