BC Boards

Would you do hip replacement? (long post..sorry)

Val

I took my baby to the ortho today for a consult. Remi is a 4 year old altered male. He has had few health issues in the short 4 years, epilepsy and the foot infection that I posted on previously. Two years ago the vet x-rayed him due to a chance that he had torsion. He did not, but the vet got a pretty decent shot of his hips which showed very early dysplasia. They told us to wait until he was having ?trouble? and speak with a surgeon. Unfortunately, the trauma of the foot infection seemed to put his hip dysplasia on warp drive. He has been limping a lot and not being nearly as active (letting the other dogs chase the ball). So we thought it was time to speak with the surgeon. I have thoroughly searched the board, and the internet as a whole, regarding the medical issues with the surgery. But my concern is whether it is ?right? to do this?

Everyone that I have told today regarding the surgery has seemed, well, not very understanding. Their argument is that this is too extreme of a measure to take. I am not sure if they are right or if they just don?t understand the connection I have with Remi. You know the whole, ?good Lord it?s a dog reaction?. I had back surgery a few years ago, and he never left my side. I would sell my soul to the devil for him if I had to. This leads to my question do you think it is right to have the surgery for him or am I doing it for selfish reasons that I do not see? I do not want to do wrong by him at all, and I am afraid that all the negative remarks I have received today have really gotten to me. Am I being crazy? The vet said that he would have a hard recovery but once he was healed would be back to new. The only persistent health condition he has is epilepsy but I have not witnessed a seizure or found any seizure activity for over a year. I am sorry for the long post but I am just not sure what to do. I guess in short I am asking if this were your best friend what would you do?

Thanks for listening?

Sorry.. I just realized that I should answer the first obvious questions. Remi is at a good weight that I watch like a hawk. He is own chontriditin (sp?), as well as an anti-inflammatory and pain med as needed. We bought him a big swimming pool this year that he swims in daily, as well as pt that I do with him in the pool. He limps a lot, and has been lifting the leg up totally at times lately. On physical exam he yelps and tries like mad to get away from the vet. Also the doc today was the third that we have discussed this with. Again?sorry this is so long I am just worried.

If he's that uncomfortable, do the surgery. You might want to read the post on the general BC discussion board that is titled My Parents Think I'm Crazy. I wrote a very partial list of what tons of people spend their money and time on - we can all think of twice that many more!

It also sounds like you've really done your homework and you've done as much for him as you can short of surgery and he's still in pain. There's your answer.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Ruth n the Border Trio

My daughter opted for reconstructive surgery for one of her cats close to 10 years ago. After one vet suggested either amputation or euthanasia.

Branwyn is doing great, even tho she has started (well, in the last 4 years) sort of dragging that back paw.

I know I'm often considered odd. But I figure that if I'd go for the surgery for a kid, a parent, or myself, I should do it for my pet. Affording it is a problem. But should we have my in-laws "put down" because of their medical problems? (I'd say my parents, but they are in boxes on my brother's bookcase right now.)

Hi Val

Unfortunately it's not that uncommon to get the "It's just a dog!" reaction. Ignore it. It's not just a dog, it's YOUR dog, your dear friend and companion, your baby, as you describe him. This isn't up to your friends and neighbors and they don't get to make the decision. This is YOUR dog, so it's YOUR right to make this decision. Many people just don't understand how much an animal can mean to those of us who see into their hearts every day. I tend to feel sorry for those people - their lives are impoverished compared to ours.

As a vet, I'm a bit (okay, a lot) more confortable with the idea of this sort of thing than many people are, so bear that in mind here. But that said, if Finn had bad hips and was a surgical candidate, I'd do a replacement without hesitation. He spends most of his time with me - a level of companionship I honestly do not have with any human being, not to mention an EASE of companionship I don't have with any human being (Finn always loves me, even if I'm cranky, and never cares what I wear or if I gain 5#) - and because we like to do active stuff - hiking, walks in the woods, frisbee, sheep - his soundness is impportant to both of us. His comfort is ALSO important to both of us, even more than the acticity. If Remi is that uncomfortable even with medical support, I'd say two things: One, I'd be moving surgery up on the list of desirable options pretty fast, myself. Two, as painful as that must be for him every day, he must be one great dog to be as kind and affectionate as your post suggests he is. Many dogs are like this - they have a generosity of nature that a lot of people could stand to copy a bit more. If you can afford the surgery and he's a good candidate, it really sounds like he deserves a shot at it. It's not like he's ten and would have a hard time healing from it - he's young and you've kept him healthy and as strong as possible through good care, nutrition, swimming and PT (which will help him recover post-op, BTW). And on financial terms, it's not like he's going to use the new hip for three months and then die of old age. He's got YEARS ahead of him. Yes, you're going to have post-op recovery and pain with that. But you're ALREADY having pain. You have a chance to trade two or three months of pain now for YEARS of no pain and better function than he can hope to have without the surgery. That sounds like a deal, to me. Since you've done your homework and have no doubt considered all the ups and downs, if YOU feel like this is a good option, and your vet does as well, I'd say go for it.

As an example, I had a 10 year old dog who got cancer. I spent about $2000 on her treatment (this was during vet school, when as you might imagine I did not HAVE $2000 hanging about in my wallet.) A friend - not a dog person - asked me how I could justify spending that kind of money on a 10 year old dog, with no idea of how long the treatment would buy her. I said, "I'd HAPPILY pay five dollars a day just to see her jump up and down with excitement every day when I get home, let alone all the other things she does for me. If you pro-rate that over the ten previous years of her life, during which she has cost me WAY less than five dollars a day, how could I NOT spend the $2000 on her?" This, surprisingly, made sense to her (even her not being a dog person). As it happens, the dog lived another 4 years, so if you prorated it even just over the time it bought her, it was a hell of a bargain. That's not even $2 a day, for four years of GREAT quality time.

Anyway, as I say, I'm biased because of my profession. But one of the things that really does my heart good is the mere simple pleasure of seeing the fluid ease with which Finn moves, the thoughtless grace and joy of it. If he lost that, I'd be bereft. If I had it within my power to restore it, you BET I'd do it. Just my opinion, of course.

Val -

I have to agree with AK Dog Doc. It's not just a dog. It's your dog. I know a couple of people who had the surgery done on their dogs, and while they did say the surgery is a bit longer than they would have preferred, one person said her dogs hips are basically ... well ... bionic now and she would do it all over again. The other person had a very similar opinion.

As most of you know ... I recently moved. I had a heck of a time finding a place that would allow dogs. I told my husband, "I don't care. I will live on the streets before I give up any one of my dogs." Well, we almost ended up living on the streets!! LOL. And I would have done it happily. A few thousand dollars for surgery looks like a walk in the park to me now!

Val, in a couple of years, I will be in the same position as you. I have an HD pup who was diagnosed at six months of age and I don't imagine she'll make it much past 4 or 5 years old before we'll have to make a decision as to what to do. (Could be longer ... we'll see ... ) So I hope when the time comes, people give me their blessing for ME to take MY money to do as I see fit for MY dog.

I say do what you need to do and don't look back. I'm with you 100% -- whatever you decide.

Jodi

Val,

I am with you 100%. If it was Twobit, I would do the same thing. Your dog has years ahead of him, as a loving pet parent, I see no other option.

I remember having a conversation with my S/O. Now he loves Twobit, but we live in an apartment and we recently moved and it was difficult to find an apartment that allowed dogs. Well he had alluded to the question "would you get rid of Twobt for a nice apartment?" and I was in tears because even thinking about not having my dog made me so sad and depressed. She is like a child to me and we all will do whatever we can for our children no matter how furry they are.

First, I want to thank everyone for their support and kind words. I have been coming to these boards for years. I was actually one of those people that found them pre-puppy to ?prepare? for the border collie addition! It has been so much more wonderful than I could have ever imagined. Not long after I got Remi I became very ill and had a long road to recovery. He never left me, if I lay down he would lie down, if I was up trying to walk he was always there by side. Step for step. Its funny I still have bad days and he still stays with me. Trying to protect me from what ever is making me feel bad. He always seems to know when I am hurting even if I don?t say a word.

After a long night, and the encouragement from all of you. I sat Remi down this morning, actually it was more of a cuddle on the couch, and had a long talk with him about the surgery and how much better he will feel afterwards. And how he will be with Momma for a very long time.

Remi never turned his back on me in my time of need. I refuse to do that to him. No matter what people say I will help him in any and every way that I can

I can?t express to each of you how much your words meant to me this morning. I have been so worried about making the wrong decision. I should have known to simply follow my heart and not the crowd. After all the border collie doesn?t follow the flock he directs it. The older I get the more I strive to be like my dog!

Yeah I soon will be in debt too. But it will be well worth it!

Remi is doing OK. We are busy getting everything ready for his surgery. Doing some furniture moving, bought a crate and a bed.

And of course a lot of loving and swimming in the pool.

Bella (Remi's younger sister) is being spayed Friday. We were going to do the first of this summer but it was postponed due to Remi's foot infection.

Ohhh... what a month August is turning into! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Val:

...Remi is doing OK. We are busy getting everything ready for his surgery. Doing some furniture moving, bought a crate and a bed.

What a month indeed! But I think you are doing the right thing. My friend made the choice for his 7 year-old border collie, who is quite dysplastic. Curry was (and will be again!) a very good agility dog, but her hips were hurting so bad that she no longer could play without pain.

She had a Femoral Head Ostectomy (FHO) because she was too little to have a hip replacement (the prosthesis didn't fit). It's been two months since the surgery, and Curry is doing great! She is swimming every day, and if things proceed at this pace for the next two months, she can start training for agility again.

Curry has a blog, if you're interested: Curry's Blog There's some links to articles on THR as well, if you want to do some light reading.

Good luck to you and Remi!

Val,

Good luck! My BC, Cricket, just turned a year old in April. We had a FHO done on her because we could not afford to travel the distance to have a total hip replacement. She is a little BC, weighing in at 30 lbs. so the FHO was a reasonable alternative. She is doing great! When we rescued her at 6 months, we could not understand why she whined at night...she was chewing alot so we attributed it to 'teething'. Little did we know she was in pain because she masked it so well! Anyway, she races around with our other BC...in fact, I think she's faster than him! The recuperation time can be difficult....and there are times when she overdoes things...even though we try to keep her fairly quiet (okay...keeping a BC quiet is a bit of a stretch!) But she is so much happier!

Good luck,