BC Boards

Charlotte and the bad news

2 Devils

We heard from the vets today and Charlotte does have cancer. She has lymphoma of the GI tract and it is in the advanced stages.

This is the news that we really dreaded hearing.

Charlotte has had 2 good days so far but the vets say that she will probably have a couple good days and will then go down hill again. They told us the options and we have decided to go with prednisone to make her feel better but in the end we don't have much time left with her.

Kim

I'm so sorry to hear such rotten news. I don't know what to say except that I'll be thinking of Charlotte and you. Make the most of the time that you have left together. They're with us all too short of a time anyway.

Hugs to you and Charlotte.

Vicki

That is indeed bad news, Kim. We?ll be thinking of you as you make the most of your time with Charlotte. The only comfort is that she doesn?t know she has cancer.

I don?t know about others on the boards, but I really appreciate when you guys post about your very sick dogs ? it reminds the rest of us to cherish our dogs and make the most of whatever time we have with them. As Vicki says, however long that is, it?s way too short.

So sorry to hear this! Please, enjoy the time you have left and don't feel guilty when you are able to ease her from her pain into a peaceful rest.

My daughter was heart and soul with our old Border Collie. He was our stock dog for a decade, and then moved on to be her constant companion, hiking, biking, camping, climbing, you name it.

At fifteen years, he started going downhill fast and, one day, we just knew it was time. While she was in school, I spent the day in her yard with him, in the sunshine, giving lots of pets and soft words.

Later, as she drove him to the vet by herself (she wanted to be alone with him), she stopped at the store and bought him a big chocolate bar and fed it to him bit by bit. We had never fed him chocolate because we knew it was bad for dogs, but we all knew he had a "sweet tooth" and had to keep the sweets out of reach (he once chewed up her jacket to get to a piece of gum in the pocket). She knew it was too late to do him any harm and he was one happy puppy as he passed away.

How many of you have tears in your eyes, as I do, over a gone but still loved companion?

How many of you have tears in your eyes, as I do, over a gone but still loved companion
Sounds like a fitting topic for another thread but.....I still cry over dogs I've lost years ago. Ideally it fades with time and you are left with the good memories and for the most part, that's true, but when I'm driving at night---that's when it hits me--flashbacks out of nowhere and it hurts all over again.

I'll still cry over dogs long gone, but there is one dog of mine that the memory of her, well it's a little different. I posted to these boards when my caucasian mt. dog, Lena, died in March of this year. Lena was diagnosed with cancer in January. We had an oral tumor removed and the old girl came through the surgery quite well---so well, that she lived a quality life up until hours before her death. Not knowing how much time I had with her, I made the most of our time together. I would take her away from the other dogs and dote on just her. Smart girl--she knew she was special! The night before she died, I don't know why, but I fed her an extra dinner---just her and the significance of this was not lost on her. She wagged her tail as she ate. Less then 12 hours later, she would be dead.

I felt like my heart had been ripped out. I never posted this on these board before, but.... Ten days after Lena died, I had a dream---me, whose dreams, the ones I even remember, are nonsensical and not worth the time to analyse them. In my dream, I was standing in a strange room. Must have been twilight because there were shadows in the room. Out of the shadows walks Lena toward me with that oh-so-familiar expression I knew so well, looking at me. It was her "Hi Mom!" expression. She was wagging that great plume of a tail. I said "Hi Sweetheart". I knelt down by her and buried my face in her ruff. I could feel the texture of her coat, I could smell her fur. I told her what a good girl she'd been and how much I missed her. I then kissed her on her head and stood up. Lena turned around and began to walk back toward the shadows. She stopped one time and looked over her shoulder at me, and continued on and disappeared into the darkness of the room.

When I awoke, it was with a sense of peace I didn't have when I went to sleep. I awoke with a sense of closure. Was it wishful dreaming or did Lena really come to say good-bye to me. Everyone can draw their own conclusions. I know what I believe.

Kim, this is in no way meant to take away from the original intent of this post or what you and Charlotte are going through, but perhaps by sharing, your load can be just a little lighter.

BTW, read "Through the Eyes of a Child" in the Gen. Discussion section.

Vicki

Vicki: Thanks for sharing your comforting dream with us. Usually my dreams are also just weird.

However, several years ago, when taking our youngest out to Idaho for her first year of college, we received a call from her sister, Lisa. Lisa's absolute soul-mate dog, Jack, not yet a year old, had been hit by a vehicle while being "watched" by someone else, and had died.

That night, heartsick for my daughter and frustrated that I couldn't be home to comfort and just hold her, I tried to sleep and found it hard to quiet my mind enough to drift off.

When I finally slept, I dreamed a wonderful and comforting dream. In it, our older Aussie, MacLeod, was lying at the base of some broad, smooth marble-like steps. At the top of the steps, sheer curtains veiled whatever was beyond. Then Jack walked up to Mac and gave him a sniff and a wag, and proceeded up the steps and through the veil-like curtains, and was gone.

But, the message Jack had left with Mac (and for all of us) was that he was alright, happy, healthy, whole, and safe, and would be waiting for us when our time came along to join him.

I have had some dreams that meant a lot to me, but none ever meant more than this one. It has been a comfort to me often when I have felt a loss.

I pray that all of us who lose a loved one (pet or person) may find a similar comfort in their grief.

So sorry to here of your news. I'm dealing with the same situation different cancer. My dog is also on prednisone. What did the Vet tell you prednisone would do for your dog? It's suppose to help level out the blood sugar in mine. Now we are dealing with these spots on his right front and back legs where he licks all the hair off. I got some medicene from the Vet but it doesn't seem to do anything for Bud. Anyway I would be interested in what the prednisone is doing for your dog. Enjoy this time. You and Charlotte our in our thoughts.

2 devils,

Just caught the bad news, so sorry for you. It will never be easy we all know that. I took four days off from work when Emmette seemed to be getting worse, I did the same with my little mutt Annie too. (She had liver cancer) I just lounged around the house and I hand fed him, not that I needed to but he liked me to do that. We watched TV and sat outside in the sun. I was ultimately glad I had time to be with him even though I knew it was short. My furry angels send their best to you and your precious Charlotte

Andrea D.

Charlotte's vet called and as of now, the prednisone may be a no-go. Her liver enzymes are better-one number is down by half and another is down but they are afraid not down enough. We will have to wait until Tuesday before a decision is made. The Int. Med Vet is away until then...

So once again, more waiting.

On a good note, Charlotte is being very playful and causing havoc in the house. Never thought I would enjoy the house being destroyed so much in my life