BC Boards

Mosquitoes

PartnersPal

We are currently experiencing a lot of Mosquitoes in my area and I have an young BC that stays outside most of the day. We have done what we can to control them, no standing water, grass mowed etc. They bother me alot, to the point were I wear long sleeves and use insect repealent whenever I am outside. I was playing frisbee with Annie this evening and noticed that some were buzzing around her face. We have a concern with West Nile virus where we live and I was wandering if anyone out there had any home remedies, or commercial. Plants that keep them away any other suggestions.

Thanks

I hike through some really bad "skeeter" areas with Makin' and when the bug sprays failed I switched to Bounce fabric sheets. I know hike with one tied to my hat and one tied on my belt with the tails hanging out. Makin' gets one on her collar and one on the back of her dog pack. There is something in the sheets that repels bugs. Silly as it sounds, they really work! They are also safe for dogs which is very important to me. When we hit the worst areas I rub the sheet over her Makin's body and face before I tie it on her which helps keep them away even more. Besides, when we stop for the night, she smells sooooo good in the tent!!!!! LOL!!!!!!

Darn skeeters!!! We have a zillion of them here in south central Wisconsin and they're growing minute by minute with all this lovely rain & standing water. I also use bounce fabric softner sheets on Kadee - she doesn't mind having them rubbed on her face (the skeeters just hang around her eyes otherwise), plus a quick pass over her body & then tied to her collar does wonders. I've been using these for the past 3 yrs and have no complaints whatsoever! Good Luck!

Wow, this is great, I didn't know about the fabric softner sheet thing!!! We just came back from camping and I fussed over the skeeters with both dogs. I will buy a box immediately and put them in the tent trailer! Thanks gang!

I read about the Bounce thing on here when I first joined - decided to try it but bought the off-brand type from Dollar General - didn't help a bit. Bought the actual Bounce from Wal-Mart and they worked like a charm.

Thanks. I'll hope Big Lots has Bounce.

I do stick to a few brand names: Purex because it's friendly to both the environment and my skin, 365 coffee because it really does taste better, Furmanos crushed tomatoes.... But I'm usually more daring. I have toothpaste from South Africa, with all the info in Afrikans.

Guess I'm just a reaction to my parents who could tell your nationality, religion, political party, and morality by what brand you bought. A Chevy meant you were a moral Republican; a Ford identified a loose-living Democrat.

Originally posted by nancy:

Guess I'm just a reaction to my parents who could tell your nationality, religion, political party, and morality by what brand you bought. A Chevy meant you were a moral Republican; a Ford identified a loose-living Democrat.

Hmmmm...I drive a Chevy, but I don't think anyone would mistake me for a moral Republican! (Okay, at heart I drive Japanese, but there's not a Japanese van out there that will hold all my dogs!)

Funny about the brand name stuff--my housemate has to have brand name food items, me I go for generic whenever possible (and it certainly keeps the housemate out of *my* food!).

J.