BC Boards

age vs weight and height

mike seiden

hi there, i have my pup on a puppy mix and im scared she is growing a bit to quickly...she is 3 quarters border collie and a quarter australian sheppard...and is nine weeks old...ive had her on wellness puppy food for 3 weeks now along with a vitemin supliment bec her hind legs were bowed due to the ppor nutrition in the first 5-6 weeks...in the last few weeks she's almost doubled in size!!!! i think my question here is does anyone know what a good weight/height is for a border collie at nine weeks of age???? since im confident she is primarily border collie....oh and another question while im here... how much should i be feeding her???

Molly grew in leaps and bounds the first couple of months we had her - was 14# at 11wks and 28# at 18 wks - doubled in size in 6 weeks! However, after that she slowed down some and is 32# at 5.5 mos. I think puppies, like children, grow exponentially in "infancy", but start to slow down to a more reasonable rate as they become "children". Molly's growth slowed right around 5 months - she's (of course) still growing like a weed, but I can't tell the difference day to day like I could the first few weeks. We're guessing she'll be around 50# fully grown.

FWIW, I never fed Wick puppy food and she grew at a very steady rate, gaining one pound per week. It was very easy to remember her weights, as they were the same as her age, i.e. 10 weeks=10 pounds, 15 weeks=15 pounds, etc... Her growth rate slowed at about 21-22 weeks (and pounds), until she topped out at about 28 pounds, 18 inches.

-Laura