BC Boards

cyst burst and smells rancid

kaos

Help, my ever-exploding hound cross has had a cyst for well over a year now, it burst today or was popped and it smells rancid, there is runny cheesy matter coming out of the cyst that is well tinged with blood. she has had cysts before that popped and they all drained and came back and drained and came back and eventually required surgery, this one has blood in it and smells nasty and I'm very concerned... I'll be calling the vet in tommorow and hopefully find out what to do about it but till then can any one give some advice on what to do with it>?

She is wearing an E-collar (and hating every minute of it) as she tends to become compulsive about her bodily issues, turns right into lick granulomas etc.

help please!

sara

The first thing that comes to my mind is it possible it was an abcess? The foul odor can be an indication of infection. Of course, you should definately see what the vet has to say - I'm just going by what I know in the world of nursing (for humans!). Infection and abcess would be first on my list given your description of the drainage. Where is the cyst located?

thank you both for the speedy replies, I too think it may have been more of an abcess too, they have never smelled like this before.

Thankfully a whole night of wearing the ecollar has allowed it to drain and seems to have calmed it down, I have washed the site with plain water and put on some polysporin to hopefully fight infection and keep it moderately clean until the vet gets here at 3:00-ish. (yes our vet makes house calls... Isn't she fantastic?) I'm hoping that she will say just let it drain, keep it clean and leave it alone, as I don't like the idea of sam having any more surgeries, (Our vet just heard a mild heart murmur on her this [ast visit and now I am even more cautious about the whole surgical route)

Is polysporin ok to put on it or should I wash it off and just let the wound breathe ????

sara