BC Boards

Help! BC in constant scratching distress

Guest Ed G

Guest Ed G

My 7 year old BC is being driven nuts by constant scratching. I have a Vet appointment this Friday (the soonest I could get). What home remedy or over the counter medication can I give my dog until he can see the vet?

I find no fleas on him, but he is licking his paws, shaking his ears and I believe he may have some type of skin allergy.

I need something to give the poor guy.

Thanks in advance!

Oh, nice to see some familiar monikers here!

Ed G

Orlando Fl

I doubt that I can help here but our Aussie was plagued by scratching for years. Our vet suggested food allergies. We switched from a beef/grain based feed to a lamb/rice feed at his suggestion, and the scratching disappeared.

Our Border Collie pup came home in the winter and had a dry, flaky skin and scratched quite a bit. His breeder suggested adding a tablespoon of fat daily to his feed, and it cleared up that problem. In fact, we do that for our two Border Collies and elderly Aussie, and they all have beautiful coats and don't scratch.

One lovely lady (who will go unnamed) even complimented my dog's coat asking if I fed a raw diet, because she had never seen such a nice, silky coat otherwise. No, I feed a quality kibble with the fat, my dogs work cattle, and get hosed often but not bathed! But they all have shiny, soft coats.

I am not a vet. My BC has been prescribed 50 mg benadryl, the straight capsules, no additives like tylenol or decongestant, just the pure antihistamine for allergic response! 50 mg 2x a day to alleviate his allergic response that was plaguing him. Call vet and ask if this is ok till Friday when they see him. My pup weighs 38 lbs

Caroline, Charlie Blessed Genius and Luke the Magnificient

Hey Army Doc,

I asked the vet if it made them sleepy, she said not usually and that holds true for my Luke. When I think of the pediatric dose for my 80 lb son, yeah 100 mg would get me snoozing. Doesn't suppress sheepherding or ball drive!

The Bellinghamsters

I have given my Baby Benadryl on many occasions in the past 14 years. She is highly allergic to flea bites. Even though she never actually has fleas, she seems to get bitten every year and the severe itch begins. The benadryl doesn't make her sleepy at all. I think she is too hyper for anything to make her sleepy, except hours of exercise!! :rolleyes: