BC Boards

source of limping

Buddy has been limping on and off for a couple days-right front lower leg. I am a novice as to anatomy-it seems to be tender in his "wrist"area-just above his paw. it doesnt seem to bother him in the morning-but by days end he is limping and holding it up. we put him on rest for a couple days and the limp disappeared-tonight it is back. I have read past posts about this. I think it may be a muscle strain-possibly from slipping on the grass...... I have tried to find some info on the internet-but haven't seemed to find what i'm looking for..... he is 17mos, not overweight and very healthy. any input is appreciated....

Hi

We have a 6 month Bc who is also limping.. not all the time etc.. like yours. Our breeder said that he is growing so fast right now that the ligaments cant keep up especially with all of his jumping running and twisting during play. So we attempting to keep him on low play and rest. and it is improving slowly. I am watching him closly to make sure it doesnt get worse.

Hi Lenore! thanks for the input. it is hard keeping him down but we've done it before-this same thing happened last year and it took a good 2 months to heal completely with no limping at all.... he has been sleeping for a couple hours and just got up because he had to go outside and he isn't limping like he was (he took off after the cat pretty good)... he knows why we're keeping him down and he doesnt fuss too much.....

AT 17 months, he should be done with growth spurts. If he went through the same a year ago, perhaps it was growth spurts at that time, but usually not at 17 months. If the limping recurring, I would take him for x-rays. Perhaps when it happened a year ago, he wasn't confined enough---I had a young pup a few years ago that was injured and didn't confine her enough. She doesn't limp but has some calcification in that injured area and will occasionally favor that leg. Perhaps Buddy's limping is something new that's going on, but if it's in the same area, I think I'd have some x-rays done.

Vicki

My not so little Ren has grown leaps and bounds since we adopted him. He has been limping for a month now off and on. Have been trying to keep him quieted so he can heal. Vet recommended Glucosamine and an X-Ray if no improvement. Meanwhile, vet also mentioned elbow displaysia. Is this a common problem in BC's? He is a mixed breed but since I found these boards, and judging from his body size & shape I am certain he has some BC in him! This past weekend I left him alone for 2 seconds and he had my garden roto-tilled, the final clue in the BC puzzle!

I am noticing that my Reno seems real stiff when he awakes from a nap. He limp seems to be more when he first gets up and moving.. once he is moving he seems fine. What could this be. Been trying to keep him down. But its hard when the kids are out back playing he is right there chasing them.I am thinking a visit to the vet is in order. But if he is fine once he gets moving how will the vet see what is going on with him?

Lenore

Buddy only seems to limp really bad for the one day. The day after i originally posted, he was limping only slightly. I think we may have found out why-I purchased a large plastic dishpan to keep his toys in outside and he likes to play with that over his toys. It's pretty big and as he's dragging it along his right front paw below his wrist bangs on it. And when I was feeling his paw, when I applied slight pressure to that area he flinched. He is still on rest for the week. This morning he is full of himself and he didn't flinch upon my inspection..... The dishpan is history!

Lenore (and anyone else),

Unexplained lameness or stiffness can't really be diagnosed over the internet, unfortunately. If the the stiffness or lameness continues more than a few days and you don't know of an activity that might have caused an injury, then I think a visit to the vet is in order. There are other causes than injury for lameness or overall stiffness/soreness, so to be safe you may want to have him checked by the vet. If your vet can't find an obvious physical reason for his discomfort, then you may want to consider other medical reasons, such as tick-borne disease.

In a six-month old, soreness could well be growing pains, but if he were mine, I'd take him to the vet just for my own peace of mind.

J.

I agree with Julie, that diagnosing medical problems over the Internet is quite impossible. That said, I will share my experience in case it helps someone else head in the right direction.

Riley had OCD (Osteochrondritis Dissecans ) when he was 8 months old and had a cartilege chip that was about the size of a dime removed from his front shoulder. OC (osteochrondrosis - butchered the spelling) is the same thing, only it's before a chip develops. This, along with Panosteitis (Pano), are two of the bone diseases commonly referred to as "growing pains". Pano tends to move from leg to leg, while OCD usually remains on one or two affected limbs.

Both of these usually come on between 6-14 months and are partly a result of growth spurts, partly minor, repeated trauma. With Riley, the probably causes were he was on puppy food (causes growth spurts) and also repeated chasing of the ball down the stairs, jumping from the last few steps, landing on his front two legs.

I'm not sure about pano, but with OCD you will see marked lameness after resting. Moving about should help, but then once the pup gets tired the lameness will be more pronounced.

About the question regarding how will the vet examine the dog if lameness is not present right at that moment. I was worried about this as well, since I drove about 3 hours to take him to a teaching hospital where the surgery would be done if they confirmed he had OCD. I was very disappointed when I couldn't get him to limp in the examining room and the vet student couldn't get him to show pain either. But the vet came in and examined him and got a yelp out of him right away (who would have ever thought I would be happy to hear that!) and looked at the x-rays my vet sent (they only showed a flat spot, not the chip) and scheduled him for surgery.

Recovery from OCD is very quick (4-6 weeks) and is most likely 100% with no after effects. Riley seems to limp after having a ton of exercise, or in the case of a few days ago, he jumped out of the car window (it was parked) and I think might have been tangled in his leash. So he's showing a little bit of soreness right now. But we tried conservative treatment for 4 months (rest and anti-inflammatories) before the surgery. Conservative treatment increases his risk of continued lameness and osteoarthritis in old age (didn't know that at the time).

There is a ton of info on the web about these bone diseases, along with other things like elbow dysplasia (agreed it is not common within the breed).

Betsy