BC Boards

Dry skin

INU

Yes, I already did "search" and saw some threads about dry skin. But I need more specific advise. - Sorry the enter key is not working on this key board so I just have to keep typing on same line.... Anyway, Jazzy is 7.5months old, smooth coat, and has been on IAM's puppy diet since I got her. I also feed the lab (11 months) the same. Lab's coat is shiny and great. On the other hand, Jazzy's coat is a bit flaky. She stil has nice soft smooth coat but just dry and sometimes itching. I've read in some posts that IAMS cause dry skin but the pet stores in my area don't sell those great brands. IAMS seem to be the best what they have. Without switching, what can I do? I read in the past posts suggesting giving some oil, cans of salmon, etc. I'd prefer something natural than giving capsuls. and if you suggest oil, what kind and how much is good for a pup like mine? Thank you for your advise!

Had that problem with a doberman a few years ago that had beautiful coat but a little "dandruff" and adding Linatone, a commercial preparation that can be bought at any pet store and added to the food, solved the problem.

Don't know why your dog has that problem. It could be a "walking dandruff" mite or something else, so if it get's worse and a change in food or supplements don't help, ask your vet.

Your vet should be used to any problems that may be common in your area and have a solution for you.

Several people in our dog club have gone to feeding a different brand every bag or two and say they are happy with the way their dogs look and work.

They assume that if one food is not quite balanced for their dog, the next one will take up the slack.

Doing that some also found that their dogs don't do as well with some ingredients, like one mentioned chicken. So she now feeds any but feeds with chicken.

Innova is a great food, at least for my pups. Not surprising your lab didn't have problems, they're naturally greasy anyway. :rolleyes: Don't expect drastic change right away though, it may take a few months to see the effect of the new better food. A good natural supplement for coat/skin is canned salmon. I'll add this in every so often (little over a tablespoon per dog) for some extra oil and protein....usually whenever I find it on sale!

-laura

Laura:

From what I've heard and read, Innova certainly seems to have a very good reputation. But I really don't know much about it and I would like to know more.

So, what specifically do you like about Innova?

(My dogs seem to be doing quite well on their current food, but I am working them quite a lot on livestock these days and I am always wondering if I can do better by them. I hope this doesn't degenerate into a food fight. That's certainly not my intention. Well, not my principal intention anyway!)

Thanks.

charlie torre

INU,

I give my dogs fish oil capsules. It's natural & it's good for them. Salmon oil caps are good too, and do the same job.

While salmon is a nice addition to her diet, you can use the capsules.

Also, if the problem is getting a decent food in your area--try Blackwood. They are reasonable in cost & ship for free, it's a decent kibble (I like it better than Iams) right to your door.

Vicki

If INU's pup is going into a shed at a few months of age, then there really is a problem. Otherwise, I would blame 2 things---here in the north, being indoors with artificial heat and/or the food. In any case, the suggestions here should be of some help to her.

Vicki